Need help with the UXTHEME.DLL file

A small mistake on my unattended setup caused the uxtheme.dll file to not get copied to the dllcache directory during setup. So, I tried doing this manually after Windows was installed.

I disabled the Themes service, and replaced the file both in the dllcache and system32 directories. I also turned off WFP via the registry (not sure I succesfully turned it back on, how do I make sure?) before replacing the file.

Next, I downloaded some visual styles from themexp.org. I placed them in the windows\resource\Themes directory. Each style in its own folder, as instructed in the readme.

And guess what, when I try to select a theme in the Appearance tab, I only see the 3 options that WinXP defaults with. So... what could I be possibly doing wrong and how do I find out?

I am kinda frustrated! :)

Thanks for any advice.

I used the $$ method initially, but I made a mistake, I didn't place the dllcache directory inside the system32, I put it alongside it (duh). So the file in dllcache didn't get updated.

All the rest attempts have been made on the installed Windows. I renamed the original file into uxtheme_old.dll, and pasted the hacked version over to system32 and dllcache.

I solved the problem eventually! **** that took me the best half of the day. I renamed/copied the file, but this time in safe mode. I would swear I had tried that one before multiple times. Something I must have missed...

Uhm, now how do I make sure, double-check that Windows File Protection is active? I might have messed up any registry entries concerning the WFP in the process and I need a way to test.