Changing the Documents and Settings folders

HyperHacker

When I first installed XP on my laptop, I used the same nLited CD that I use for my PC. This renames the default Administrator account to Admin. Normally I'd use it for everything and there wasn't any problems. However when I got the laptop I found it necessary to create a second account on both for network access (a limited account which I named NetworkUser), since otherwise it'd be highly insecure. When I did this it also made me create another admin account for some reason, so I named it asdf.

Now after much struggling with the networking setup I found that Admin's profile seems to be corrupted. So I renamed Admin to Default because it won't let me delete it, and asdf to Admin.

The first problem I see is that I've lost all my settings. A pain, but I suppose I can fix it. The real problem is that now all the folders in Documents and Settings are named wrong and there doesn't seem to be any way to fix it. There's both Admin and Default, not sure which is which, and asdf which is now where Admin's settings are (since I renamed asdf to Admin). That's no good for me.

Windows won't let me rename the folder from within the account it belongs to. If I do it from another account things just go screwy; somehow I ended up with one with the computer's name tacked on. :blink: The only place that references this old name is in control userpasswords2 but changing it there didn't help.

I don't care much about the other accounts I never even use, but I need the account now named Admin (which I do use) to be named Admin in Documents and Settings. The only way I can see to do this is to delete Default but it won't let me. :angry:

Well I think I fixed it by renaming the folders from a new admin account (for this purpose only) and editing the keys in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. I'm not totally sure about the other users, but Admin's folder is named Admin again, and that's all that really matters to me. :)

Edited by HyperHacker