Wireless G Desktop Adapter Cannont find New Hardware

tal ormanda

I just put in a Wireless G Desktop Adapter by D-Link. When I restart my computer it doesnt ID what I pluged in so I dont get the wireless icon in the bottom right to use it. Help me!

Also the power icon on it is flashing that its on.

Definately need more info here...

i.e.

Does the device appear in the device manager?

Can you view the wireless network adapter in your "network connections" window?

Is wireless zero-config service running, or is there supplemental software that was installed for this device?

any other information that may be relevant?

Well, if the device doesn't appear in the device manager, even as a "question mark" or "exclaimation" device (indicating there is a driver problem or the device isn't recognized), then there may more to the issue.

Are there any problem devices? I find it very odd that it would be getting power and not showing up anywhere.

I go to add new hardware in control panel and i tried adding it myself. It was on a list but then I got this error:

error1da0.png

error2yh0.png

Thats from before. This is when I found it on a list manually doing it:

error3dw9.png

Device Manager:

error4dt4.png

Edited by tal ormanda

Well, I would start by removing all instances of the device from the Device manager (because there are multiple instances of the device now appearing), shut my computer down and restart and try to reinstall fresh.

If that didn't work, and it probably won't, I would check the manufacterer's web site for any driver updates, and if so, install the most recent drivers.

We now know that windows does recognize the device, however a "device cannot start" error usually indicates that there is a problem with the driver that is installed (which is why I suggested checking for new versions of the device driver), or there is a problem or malfunction with the device itself. Are you able to plug the wireless card into a different computer and see if works from there? That may be able to rule somethings out.