RIS Template Selection

Just a question this one to see if anyone has done this / knows how to. Basically we support 12 languages through RIS, and approx 20 different models of machines, all needing different S/W / drivers etc. At the moment through RIS you select the template you want based on the language of windows you want. Then once the machine has installed and booted for the first time another prompt appears (simple VB script) that prompts for the model of machine, which installs any model specific items. The annoying thing about this is that it’s not completely automated as you need to have that second prompt.

So I was wondering if anyone knows how to have another template selection screen in RIS. e.g once you have selected for an English install, then another screen appears for the model of machine. So depending on what you select it points to the correct .sif file and builds the entire machine. Obviously I could have a screen that displays every possible build, but there would be 240 odd selections!

Anyone had the need to do this before?!

Cheers

Ben

Hi!

I understand what u r aiming for but I dont think that the right way to solve is to the use of additional .osc screens as they are a bit "old school" and with limited functionality (IMHO). There are some MS websites that address the usage of creating ur own .osc files and so on if u search Technet.

Microsoft actually supports a deployment framework that addresses questions that u r refering to, called BDD (Business Desktop Deployment). However, it is not as simple to just install it and everything is working.. u prolly need to work with it for a while before knowing all the scripts and stuff.. what I am aiming for is this:

There is already developed scripts within this framework that take into account which model u r using/trying to install by the use of WMI scripting. The logic is very simple and more or less comes down to:

1. One common script will be executed, using WMI, the script will return which vendor the machine is supplied from (e.g HP/IBM/Dell) and which model of the machine that is being installed and if it is a laptop or desktop.

2. Once this information is determined, u can make decisions based upon that....

Example:

If it is a HP Pavilion for example, then install OEM DVD software, If Dell Latitude then install OEM management application, and so on and so on....

BDD is free of charge and can be downloaded from the MS website for the public. Like I said, it will solve ur problem but it takes some time to get the hang of it. BDD requires WinPE, so all I would recommend u to do is to investigate which scripts that u can copy/snatch and what to edit to get it working...

Hi again, I was thinking...

What u could do is this ( variation of what I am doing with my RIS installs )

1. Create a .osc file that will provide u the option to create an input parameter, that will be saved to the temp unattend file created on the RIS box during installation. In my case the code looks something like:

<FORM ACTION="WARNING">

&nbspActivation Code: <INPUT NAME="ACTCODE" MAXLENGTH=255>

</FORM>

just replace the ACTCODE for something else (model or what ever..)

2. From the [GuiRunOnce section] launch a script that will be able to read the actual value of what was entered in the .osc screen input section and propagated to the temp unattend file. Once u can read that value, u can make ur own decisions on what is to happen with the installation, of course u can make it read multiple values, translated into for e.g:

model (which applications to install), language (which language to install) and so on.

In my case I read the specified parameter from the input screen like this:

[GuiRunOnce]

Command0="wscript.exe MyScript.vbs %MY-VARIABLE%" where the %MY-VARIABLE% value has been translated into a string, entered from the input screen. Of course, u prolly have to script abit to get it working.

For installing, changing the language of a already installed machine, use either reg haxXxx or read this MS KB.

In the first .osc screen, u would have to type in the correct computer model, e.g Dell Latitude xyz, next screen you type Swedish for example and from the script you would have to act upon that. Well, it is just thought!

About that last thing, just make things clear:

1. The template .sif file for the image (base .sif file) would have to look like:

[GuiRunOnce]

Command0="wscript.exe MyScript.vbs %MY-VARIABLE-1% %MY-VARIABLE-2%" and so on...

Once the screen input has been answered, the variables will be translated into the strings entered. Of course, the variable names of within the .osc must correspond to the ones used within the .sif file or else..

2. Looking into the tmp unattend file (named with a GUID of the machine), it will look something like:

[GuiRunOnce]

Command0="wscript.exe MyScript.vbs Latitude 430 SWEDISH" or something..

3. The script would then be excuted, acting on that info...

Cheers!