How to create Japanese Vista PE images?

louis.wang

Hey all, does anyone know how to create a Japanese Vista PE image? The problem I am running into is that the WAIK, normally used to create a PE image, only has an English winpe.wim file.

If I try to use the WAIK to create a PE image from one of the Japanese Vista ISOs, I get an error with the SYSTEMROOT directory during boot. This is using the boot.wim provided on the Japanese Vista ISO. There is also an install.wim, but that happens to be 2.4gb in size... just a little bit unwieldy!

Does anyone have any more information? Do you have to install the Japanese OS first? Then what do you do? I'm not trying to install the OS on a system but actually just trying to create a bootable Japanese PE image.

I haven't seen any mention of using the WAIK to produce non English PE environments... or using the beta ISOs to create PE environments... or using an installed Vista system to create a bootable PE environment. If there is such information, can you point it out please?

Many thanks!

EDIT: Several days later... By the lack of response it would seem there isn't much interest or knowledge in this topic. The thread has been read about 28 times without any posts. In prior versions of PE you could use an install CD/DVD to create PE images, but that doesn't seem possible with Vista. I will keep looking anyway, thanks.

Edited by louis.wang

As far as I know the current versions do not natively support anything other than US English. Undoubtably this more to do with Registry settings and Language folders not in the winpe.wim than anything. I'm not even gonna try that yet. I'm still wooping about getting my key to boot.

Okay, I now know more.

From WAIK help file: -

-Add a Language Pack

-

-The following procedure demonstrates how to use PEImg to add a language pack to a Windows PE image

-offline. Before you can run any PEImg command, you must first apply or mount the base Windows PE

-image (winpe.wim) using ImageX.

-

-The /lang command sets the locale and the UI language of a Windows PE image. A language pack for the

-specified language must already be installed. You can perform this on a Windows PE image that was

-previously prepared with /prep.

-

-To add a language pack to a Windows PE image offline:

-

-peimg /lang=<culture> <image path>, for example

-peimg /lang=en-us c:\winpe_x86\mount\Windows

Cheers

Posted this over on my thread. Hope it helps.

Edited by mickregan