Can't remove Fax Service

PaddyW

Hi there,

i just made a nice nLite-Version of my Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 and all the other updates. Thanks for the nice tutorials out there ;).

I don't know how it happened, but now I got the "Fax" Icon in my Control Panel. When i try to remove it from Add/Remove Software, the checkbox is always checked and can't be unchecked - whatever I try. I also can't stop the Fax Service from my Services...

Can someone help me please! How can i remove the Fax Service from Add/Remove Software and my Control Panel? Thanks sooo much!

Check out the screenshot i made: Click me

Edited by PaddyW

Yeah, that's right. I got the modem drivers for my notebook installed.

Thank you very much! Is there no way to prevent the fax service from installing?

Only way is to use HFSLIP (slipstreams latest updates and/or IE6 into Win2k) and HFCLEANUP (rips out unwanted services)

OR

nLite.

Both of these work, pick which you prefer. My personal opinion is that HFSLIP and HFCLEANUP are better choice once you get it set up.

Well, I wish I'd saved my notes. Users of my fileset have it removed. I don't know what files are involved tho, sorry :blink:

probably everything with *fax* in the LAYOUT file, and the fax INF installer in sysoc, is it?

Anyway when you install just edit the garbage out of faxsetup.inf. That should do it.

you DO reinstall every weekend, right? :lol:

I know them both well. Will I still be able to send faxes with different programs? Or is the fax service the "fax component" of windows 2000?

@fdv

Thank you very much. Can you tell me what to edit in the faxsetup.inf. I have no idea..^^

Edited by PaddyW