'Shutdown and install updates' like install...

Hi everyone-

1.) This is my first post.

2.) I did, and do in fact, know how to use the search button.

3.) I have a problem which I have been working on for a few days but can't quite figure out.

The Problem

I am trying to move a user account from the Local machine to Active Directory. I need to automate this for >1300 PCs. (XP & Win2K) I was provided with moveuser.exe from Microsoft, but it cannot run while the user is logged in due to file locks. When XP tries to install updates it gives the option "Shutdown and Install Updates". I am guessing that it logs the user out of the system then installs updates? ??? Is there anything out there that would allow me to run moveuser either at shutdown or startup while the user is not logged in? ...kind of like the shutdown and install functionality?

Many thanks in advance if anyone has come across a solution!

Regards,

Ryan Carver-

Sorry I can't be more specific, but one solution would be to wrap moveuser.exe within a script, then run that script as a process, since processes can run even if a user isn't logged in. I've seen information on it before, so I know it can be done... but I can't find where it was. Possibly search Google for more information about creating processes.

Good luck!

How about using the AutoAdminLogon key? You could have a script setup the Winlogon key and config a second script to run the moveuser routine via RunOnce.

• The end user runs the script which copies in files and sets up the reg keys
  • Reboots and auto logs in under the local admin account
  • Runs a script calling the util and can either shutdown or reboot

Course the trick will be keeping the user's from killing something or trying to 'just check something' during the process.