Mass Rollout from 2000 to XP

My company is now (finally) rolling out XP to approximately 2100 machines. An SMS 2003 server is available, and the current goal is to use it with queries and advertisements to back up user state data (through the USMT) and currently installed programs (via HKLM/Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall), install Windows XP with some base applications (image-based install, since there's only 3 types of machines), then restore the user settings AND APPLICATIONS.

With a database available mapping add/remove program data to packages, it is possible to reinstall the programs. But, since my boss isn't here for the next two weeks, I'd like to come up with a better way :)

I realize that reinstalling the exact same applications as were previously installed is pretty difficult. It does help that each computer name is named for its serial, so backups can be placed in a folder named after the computer on NAS.

I'm a big fan of RyanVM and BTS, and I'm currently rallying to have their works implemented into the images. I'm also no stranger to switchless installers and generally making installations silent in various fashions. I've made SMS packages before.

Now, to open it up. What's the best way to get this done? Please stay on topic, people. :)

Anybody? I would think it would be the ultimate accomplishment of unattended installations to be able to (given a external data location) reformat and reinstall, including data, settings, and programs. It sounds pretty farfetched, but so does (or did) slipstreaming all updates, or including drivers in the Windows XP cd for all XP-compatible drivers.

C'mon, I could really use some help here. USMT and AutoIt can do a lot, but I can't do it all myself. I'd like a different viewpoint at least to help me out.

With that many machines you will probably want to use imaging software such as ghost. The ghost cast server can do much of what you are looking to do including backup user data although I've never used this option. Most of the users where I work use roaming profiles and store all their files on a server. The laptop systems are configured with two partitions one with the operating systems and applications and the other with the users files. The bad thing about this solution is that you have to buy a license for each computer.

Look at http://www.interclasse.com/scripts/SoftwareMeteringCLS.php for a script that builds a list of software installed on a computer.