Newbie Question - Unattended Application Installs

ZenCoder

I want to create an unattended software install CD, to run after my unattended XP install & Autopatcher XP.

I only do clean installs about six times a year since every system I build/maintain gets regularly scheduled OS backups.

I update all my software twice a year with the exception of security related software which gets updated as often as possible.

My question are

1) I am not concerned about the initial learning curve, but will maintaining an extensive unattended install CD cost more time that it will save if I only use it every other month?

2) What method is best for me, Windows Post-Installer , Installation Helper Utility, XPlode.

I want something that can run from wherever I put it, allow me to select what applications to install, and is easy to upgrade and maintain.

3) Anyway to check for previous versions of programs and uninstall them if necessary?

4) Anyone ever make and distribute an unattended Open Source Software CD, which the best Open Windows Applications?

5) Are there any other sites to look for unattended install configurations for my software or does all such information available find its way here?

EDIT

Windows Post-Installer runs from a Hard Drive or a CD, it seems simple so I am trying that.

It looks like if it will only save me time if I only automate files with simple switches or well documented instructions.

I haven't figured out how to check for previous versions that need uninstalled. So I am just going to but anything that can't be installed over the previous version in a seperate category so I know to manually uninstall if necessary.

Haven't found an open source unattened software install CD.

Haven't found any other sites for swithes/commands.

Edited by ZenCoder

for starters, i doubt that you will find a "open source applications for windos install cd". you need to understand that there is a noticeable difference in clean-installing windows and overwrite-windows installations. the former has way too more advantages as you can be sure that everything is "fresh and new". That being said, i see no point to look for ways to check for program versions that are already installed as it will bring up more problems than time savings for you.

read the unattended guide and follow it step by step and you will be making the cd you are looking for.

I am learning WPI and AutoIT.

Also I have no intention of integrating any unattended software installations with a Windows install CD.

I am merely creating an software autoinstall CD to run anytime I want to automatically install software.

So sometimes I will be installing software when a pervious version of the same software is already installed. Some programs require that you uninstall the pervious verison first.

I think I can handle such problems with Auto IT.