MS Word XP problem...

ICT_Tech

I'm running Word XP on my PC and I'm trying to add a background in "Print View" but everytime I go to "Format" then "Background" and add a colour or an effect it switches the view to "Web Layout View".

When I click back on to "Print View" the colour hasn't been added...

If I then go back to "Web Layout View" the colour is still present! :}

How can I add a background to Print View without it switching to Web Layout View?

Its driving me mad!! :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

Thought of looking in Word help? :-)

About backgrounds and watermarks

Backgrounds are used in Web layout view or in a Web browser to create a more interesting background for online viewing. Backgrounds are displayed in Web layout view only and aren't designed for printing.

Watermarks are text or pictures that appear behind document text. They often add interest or identify the document status, such as marking a document as a "Draft." Watermarks are intended for printed documents.

Use gradients, patterns, pictures, solid colors, or textures for backgrounds. Gradients, patterns, pictures, and textures are tiled, or repeated, to fill the page. When you save a document as a Web page, the textures and gradients are saved as JPEG files and the patterns are saved as GIF files.

You can see watermarks in print layout view or on a printed document. If you use a picture, you can lighten, or wash it out, so that it doesn't interfere with document text. If you use text, you can select from built-in phrases, or enter your own.

Document backgrounds are designed to be viewed on the screen and not printed. The background that you create by using the Background command on the Format menu will not print. To add a printable background, borders, or shading to your page, use the Printed Watermark command (by pointing to Background on the Format menu) or the Borders and Shading command on the Format menu.

My suggestion:

If you want a solid colour watermark, use a graphics package (paint will do) and make a picture of the colour you want, the same size as your printed page and use that as the watermark picture, with scale set to 100%. Or you can make it some other size and use auto, but that does not fill the page.

Edited by JRosenfeld