Automatically update parts of text

Good day!

I'd appreciate any pieces of advice or real examples regarding the following question.

Need to be able to have one block of text in the end of the document automatically updated when I change another block of text in the beginning of the same document. If I for example enter person's name in the beginning, this name should appear in the end of document as well, where she/he would place the signature. I suppose it's possible to insert two form fields and link one to another, but am still unsuccessful in my efforts.

Please advice how this can be implemented.

P. S. Microsoft Word 2003 Professional

Solution is simple.

1) Insert a regular form text field.

2) Insert regular field (Insert>Field...) with type "Ref" and link it to the form text field.

Changes are not updated automatically. Updates happen only when you open, save or print the document or manually run update.

Thanks to www.vbstreets.ru bulletin board ;-)

• 1 year later...

I encountered a similar problem. What I did was

1. insert a text form field where the person would enter their name. in the Properties of the text field, check the box labeled "Calculate on exit".

2. With your cursor at the point where you want the name to automatically update, click Insert > Reference > Cross-Reference

3. Select “Bookmark” from the “Reference Type” pull-down menu. Select “Bookmark Text” from the “Insert Reference To” pull-down menu.

4. Select the name of the text field you want referenced under the “For Which Bookmark” box.

5. Click “Insert”, then “Close”.

The Calculate on Exit box ensures that after you enter your text into the text field and hit tab, it automatically updates all cross references that are linked to the text field.

Hope that helps (even if its late...)