Windows XP + SATA Drive

hmaster10

the first installation went smooth with no problems it even detected my Sata Drive with out doing the F6

but on the second reformat XP been installing in wierdly, like missing CPU info in the General Tab of My Computer Properties, Missing System Restore Tab, Remote Tab, and Automatic Updtae Tab and i can't even populate my HD, and also the event viewer doesn't work it gives a "unknown interface error"

other note: BIOS able to detect the Sata HD, Device Manager also detect the processor

was it only luck that I was able to install on the first try? or there is something broken? :no:

Edited by hmaster10

Have you changed your BIOS since the first install? By a standard rule, if it detects it no problems one time, it'll do it every time. I've done it many many times.

If you've NOT updated your system bios and you are using the EXACT same Disc to install XP........you can try using a newer XP CD (slipstream SP2 and such) and go ahead and update your system BIOS and give that a shot.

Have you changed your BIOS since the first install? By a standard rule, if it detects it no problems one time, it'll do it every time. I've done it many many times.

If you've NOT updated your system bios and you are using the EXACT same Disc to install XP........you can try using a newer XP CD (slipstream SP2 and such) and go ahead and update your system BIOS and give that a shot.

by change meaning i updated to a newer bios version? No

but if you mean changing a few settings... yes i did, i disabled some parts i don't use like FDC controller.

this might help, i get this error when i try to populate the HD in "Volume information for this disk cannot be found.

This may happen if the disk is a 1394 or a USB device on a Windows 2000 machine. "

1) should i really do the f6?

2)could this be a hardware problem?

solutions tried:

- clear cmos - still the same

- created a new xp slipstreamed - still the same

- added Bâshrat the Sneaky driver pack - infinite reboot after installation :(

Edited by hmaster10

Do you get this error in windows or in setup? If it's in windows so it actually sees the drive, you just can't do anything with it, right? If it's in Setup, does it once again see the drive but can't do anything with it?

You can try F6 if you have the drivers your SATA drivers, otherwise that won't help much. But still, if you've done it once it should do it again UNLESS something you changed in the Bios was something you shouldn't have touched........but you said you cleared the BIOS, did you reset all the BIOS settings?

Do you get this error in windows or in setup? If it's in windows so it actually sees the drive, you just can't do anything with it, right? If it's in Setup, does it once again see the drive but can't do anything with it?

You can try F6 if you have the drivers your SATA drivers, otherwise that won't help much. But still, if you've done it once it should do it again UNLESS something you changed in the Bios was something you shouldn't have touched........but you said you cleared the BIOS, did you reset all the BIOS settings?

it happens in windows

yes after performing the clear CMOS, all settings in BIOS went to default again (the only change i made was the FDC controller coz i don't have a floppy)

-settings i'm only concern w/ (others were not touch)

-- Drive A (None, i'm not using it)

-- nVidia IDE RAID Boot ROM (disable by default)

-- RAID Enabled (disable by default)

-- OnChip IDE Channel1 (disabled, i'm not using it)

-- SATA 3/4 (disable, i'm not using it) (only have 1 sata drive)

-- Onboard FDC Controller (disable, i'm not using it)

NOTES:

the error = "Volume information for this disk cannot be found.

This may happen if the disk is a 1394 or a USB device on a Windows 2000 machine. "

happens because some services even set to automatic doesn't start upon windows login

here are other problems that I found:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=75682

the only thing that is odd, i have integrated (using BTS Base) the MassStorage Driver from BTS pack as textmode and after the installation it keeps asking me to select safe mode or boot normally but what ever i select it just reboots

p.s. i integrated the entire pack, or should i just selected the driver that i'll be needing?

Edited by hmaster10

Manage to fix it, i enabled RAID but disabled raid for the SATAs but now it keeps on asking me about the driver to nVidia RAID Controller, wasn't it on BTS driver pack?

here is the list what device windows report that unable to find the drivers

- NVIDIA nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller

- NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller

- NVIDIA nForce RAID Class Controller

I can't even find them not even in the drivers bundle w/ my board

Edited by hmaster10