Windows Server 2003 Crash 0x7e

Hello all,

Long time listener, first time poster.

I'm working with a Windows 2003 Server SP1. Very minimal software (mostly a file/print server, DHCP, DNS). While loging in to check the event logs (Branch Office) it prompted me saying that it had an unexpected shutdown with the following error code

Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 8093c72c, parameter3 f63294c8, parameter4 f63291c4

I went through the logs an noticed that it happened about 3:40 on the previous day. Called the office and they said that they did not notice any down time, was a thundering around that time but the unit has a very nice dedicated UPS connected to it. Unfortunately the APC software is not installed on the unit yet, since when we were last out at the office we did not bring the cable to connect the UPS to the server (kicks self in face....twice). They did not notice any power outages and all of their machines stayed powered on.

Checked the event logs a litte more indepth and there were no system issues prior to, same with the application log. I did notice that after the crash had happened most everything came back up correctly with the exception of DHCP. It is having an issue that we've had on another one of our branch office servers that I resolved by disabling indexing on the backup folder in %System32%\DHCP. The error ID is 1014 with a JET database error 1032. Still waiting to see if this resolves the issue on this machine as well.

Right now I'm copying the crash dump over to my compter and am going to run Microsoft Kernel Memory Dump analyzer on it and see what that comes up with.

BTW - No new hardware/software system changes at all that I am aware of.

Any Suggestions. I'm kind of at a loss to see where the issue is coming from, or what to do in order to keep this from occuring again. If you guys have any ideas. Let a Joe know.

Thank you much

A Stop 0x7e or 0x17e mean that a thread executing in the system context crashed or access violated, and the error handler was unable to handle the exception and thus causing the bugcheck. These things can be a real PITA to troubleshoot, but if you would like me to take a look at the dump PM me and I'll give you FTP instructions.

there is a hotfix for this available on the MS site.

am using cd at moment but will update with the KB number when pc finished building

[edit]

Heres that info:

KB900485 ; Error message in Windows XP Service Pack 2: "Stop 0x7E"

[/edit]

Edited by oioldman

Well the server has not had any issues since. Given it has barely been 48 hrs. But the DHCP issue has been resolved. This the second time that fix has worked for me, with no other known side effects so just something to keep in mind if any of you where to come accross that issue. This is the first time we have come across this error. I'm still haven't got a chance to debug the DMP file, had another "fire" with some of the databases we moved to a new server, gotta love this job :blink:. But I'll post what I find when I get a chance with that. Also if anything else comes up. Thanks for your quick replies guys, I good help is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jf