Error code 0x80070002

maldin

Hi,

I'm unable to boot up into Windows XP. Switched off machine as normal no problem. On boot up a dialogue box opens with the name of my computer and asks for a password, I have never seen this box come up before. I press enter and a blue screen appears, after 60 secs the following message is displayed in a dialogue box "A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license on this computer Error code 0x80070002. I have checked this error in the knowledge base and tried booting up in safe mode and modifying the registry. When I try to boot in safe mode I arrive once again at the password dialogue box. I press enter and the following information is displayed very rapidly, "loading your personal settings", "saving your personal settings" and then returns back to the password dialogue box. I cannot therefore boot up using safe mode and modify the registry settings.

Any help appreciated on this

Regards to all

Mal Dinsdale

If you are unable to boot into safe mode command prompt mode, you will have to do an in-place upgrade of your Windows OS (repair install does not repair the WPA issue). Otherwise, if you can boot up normally and connect to the registry remotely from another machine whilst the machine is up and running, you can do the registry edits in KB310794 remotely and reboot. Again, if you can't get into safe mode command prompt mode or do a remote registry connection, you will be resigned to doing an in-place upgrade (reinstall).