MSI & EXE installation problems

Appleadameve

Hi, I'm having problems installing some of my *.exe files, what happened was, that the same *.exe once installed fine in my PC. Then when I try to uninstalls it's installed program, it asks me for location of a specific *.msi file in my PC. Since the program has been installed by an *.exe installation base, where could I find the *.msi file for that uninstallation need? So I ended up just simply deleting all the installed program files from their installed folders without using it's default uninstaller.exe

But the real problem is: Windows XP Pro (sp1) ask me for the same *.msi file again when I try it install that same software/program again days after, so why is Windows aking me for an *.msi file as I'm installing a software program with an *.exe intallation base?

The same problem has once happened to my second PC set which is also running Windows XP Pro (sp1). Some times Windows ask for an *.msi file with a matching file name to the installer's *.exe file, but in some cases Windows just ask for any *.msi with an irrelevent file name to the installer's *.exe file, when it comes to installing or uninstalling some of the software programs in my Windows.

I've overcome this problem once months ago, but I lost my memory on it & can't quite remember how I've solve the mess last time!

P.S: do you think the "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility" could fix this problem?

Try putting in your XP disc and do a search for *.msi files. Make sure system folders, subfolders and hidden folders are selected as well. MSI is a microsoft installer file and is usually housed in a system disk however I did find one once in my c:\windows\system32 folder.

Sorry, I'm not sure how the msi thing works, but Windows is asking for *.msi files with names of a software program such as "FileWatch.msi" or a game's title such as "Need for Speed 4.msi", I really don't think I could locate anything such as "FileWatch.msi" or ""Need for Speed 4.msi" in the WinXP Pro cd.

I'm very sure that I haven't insert any CD into my PC by the last time I've the same problem fixed.

Sorry my english isn't fluent, but I'll try to make my problem more specific here:

(ie only) Windows is asking me to locate an "Eve.msi" file as I'm installing a software program with a filename of "Adam.exe" intallation base.

(ie only) It also ask me for an "Unreal Tournament.msi" when I'm installing a game with a "Quake 3 Arena.exe"

thanks anyway :)

Edited by Appleadameve

It's probably asking again because the program uses Installshield 7 or above. Open the installer and browse to %temp%. Look for the msi file, copy all its contents to desktop\msi or something, and browse to the msi when uninstalling.

Don't del the program files folder cos tons of reg keys get left behind.

And if windows is asking for need for speed 4.msi I don't think you'll find it on the CD unless you've modded it! :)

That's some problem...

Edited by T D

Sorry that I hasn't made it clear that all the software/programs I'm having problem uninstalling/installing now, were once working all fine in the past without the need of any *.msi files upon installations.

It just that suddenly Windows requires random *.msi files before it'll allows me to make an installation for a specific software/program.

I'll try a thing called Windows Installer CleanUp Utility by the time I could lay my hand on my PC(s) running with WinXP Pro, now I'm still typing with my Windows ME.

Is it true that the *.msi feature/files has been integrated/packed into a *.exe file? and that the *.msi contents will be "unzipped/unpacked" from the *.exe file into a %temp% (folder or registry) during installation?

thanks anyway :)

Ah yes, the windows installer cleanup utility. I forgot about that. It probably will fix uninstalling issues.

Did you know it was designed to remove office in particular? :)

If you see the InstallShield launcher box or something to do with windows installer, the setup EXE is probably a SFX archive. Most installshield setups are.

And just in case you don't know, %temp% is your temporary folder. Just click start>run>type %temp%>click OK.

I remember having similar issues with trying to "repair/modify" a program after creating an 7zip self installer (I think it was Adobe Reader 7). Since the repackaged installer deleted all it's temp files, add/remove programs could never locate the "original" .msi file.

So I've been (reluctantly) just leaving them in some installation folder off the root of the system drive in unpackaged form and installing from there.

Are your .exe's repackaged installs like a 7zip or iexpress?

I remember having similar issues with trying to "repair/modify" a program after creating an 7zip self installer (I think it was Adobe Reader 7). Since the repackaged installer deleted all it's temp files, add/remove programs could never locate the "original" .msi file.

So I've been (reluctantly) just leaving them in some installation folder off the root of the system drive in unpackaged form and installing from there.

Are your .exe's repackaged installs like a 7zip or iexpress?