unattend.xml questions

Jazkal

I'm trying to a 100% unattended install of Longhorn Vista Beta 2 5384.

In my unattended.xml file, I am trying to select the correct image inside the WIM file:

in the sample file it shows this section as the part to make this selection:

<MetaData>
<Key>/IMAGE/NAME</Key>
<Value>TestScripts</Value>
</MetaData>

I have tried all kinds of combinations from the out put of:

XIMAGE /INFO install.wim

I just can't seem to find the correct info to put in this section.

Anyone have this working?

I'm waiting for the Beta 2 version of the WAIK to come out. The older version doesn't work on this one.

My testing is being done via WinPE over PXE and a network share that has all the files, most of it works, just have to choose the version to install, which is what I'm trying to figure out for the XML file.

You were close. The correct snip from the fully unattended script I've be using is below. Windows Longhorn Server DVD contains multiple editions of the OS and values 1 thru 7 specify different ones. "1" = Server Enterprise edition. To see a listing of all contained editions; install Vista or Longhorn, copy over ximage.exe , and use ximage's info commmand to see the listing of all oses in the install.wim file. Now if I could just figure out how to add 3rd party drivers to an unattended installation, I'd be a very happy camper. More in the reply that follows this one.

<ImageInstall>

<OSImage>

<InstallFrom>

<MetaData>

<Key>/IMAGE/INDEX</Key>

<Value>1</Value>

</MetaData>

</InstallFrom>

<WillShowUI>Never</WillShowUI>

<InstallToAvailablePartition>true</InstallToAvailablePartition>

</OSImage>

Does anyone know any xml commands for including or directing Windows VIsta/Longhorn to scan for and install 3rd party drivers via an unattended installation? Is there an equilivent to Windows XP's OemPnPDriversPath unattended command? If anyone has had experience with the <DriverPaths>

tag can you post some examples?

Below I posted my complete unattended xml script that other's may find useful. Its well tested for the latest Longhorn Server Beta 2. This same script is also tested and working for x64 if you replace all occurances of "x86" with "AMD64".

Known issues are; Longhorn x86 will return "Deployloment Servies Failed" if you attempt to install Longhorn x86 from a WIndows XP/2003 x64 installation. And, the latest build of Windows Vista Home Basic fails to set the Administrator password using previously working unattended scripts; thus leaving it blank and preventing the user from logging due to security restrictions.

<!-- Template unattend file for headless installations. -->
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<settings pass="windowsPE">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" processorArchitecture="x86">
<UpgradeData>
<Upgrade>false</Upgrade>
</UpgradeData>
<UserData>
<AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
<ProductKey>
<Key>XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX</Key>
</ProductKey>
</UserData>
<ImageInstall>
<OSImage>
<InstallFrom>
<MetaData>
<Key>/IMAGE/INDEX</Key>
<Value>1</Value>
</MetaData>
</InstallFrom>
<InstallToAvailablePartition>true</InstallToAvailablePartition>
</OSImage>
</ImageInstall>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" processorArchitecture="x86">
<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
</component>
</settings>

<!-- NOTE: we need to use settings overrides to enable remote desktop and open up the relevant port in the firewall;
at present, these settings have not yet been authored; in the meantime, we use guirunonce items to get this
functionality (and we autologon to make sure the guirunonce items will run right after setup) -->

<settings pass="oobeSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" processorArchitecture="x86">
<UserAccounts>
<AdministratorPassword>welcome</AdministratorPassword>
</UserAccounts>
<AutoLogon>
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
<Username>Administrator</Username>
<Password>welcome</Password>
</AutoLogon>
<SkipMachineOOBE>true</SkipMachineOOBE>
<FirstLogonCommands>
<SynchronousCommand>
<Order>1</Order>
<!-- open a port in the firewall for remote desktop -->
<CommandLine>netsh firewall set portopening TCP 3389 "Remote Desktop" enable</CommandLine>
</SynchronousCommand>
<SynchronousCommand>
<Order>2</Order>
<!-- turn on remote desktop -->
<CommandLine>reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Terminal Server" /f /v fDenyTSConnections /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000000</CommandLine>
</SynchronousCommand>
</FirstLogonCommands>
</component>
</settings>

</unattend>