Moving userprofile

Nozze

Hi!

If there's a topic for my problem I haven't been able to find it.

I'm trying to move an old userprofile to a newly created profile, and I don't seem to be able to move the old users ntuser.dat file, win says it's in use. But I'm logged in as the either the old nor the new user, but as admin.

Please does anybody know how to help me?

The reason you cannot access the ntuser.dat file is because Windows loads all active profile hives when it starts. If you have Windows installed on another disk/partition on your system, start Windows from there and you will have full access to both ntuser.dat files.

Otherwise, your only hope is to run the recovery console while logged in from someplace other than the C:\WINDOWS directory.

mhc

Edited by mhc

If you wish to overwrite new Profile A with Profile B then all you need to do is copy it using the User Profile Settings under System Properties. Login under an admin account (other than A or B) and use the 'Copy to' button. Be sure to set the 'Permitted to use' field to the respective account (B).

mhc is right and you are obviously logging in as one of the two accounts. Create a third account, grant it admin rights and copy away.