List of Included Mass Storage Drivers

Hysteresis

Hi All - First post so be gentle!!!

I have a WinPE build (based upon Win2K3 Enterprise) and I'm trying to establish a list of included (out of box) Mass Storage drivers (the PNP variety).

Can I assume that the [sCSI] section in TXTSETUP.SIF is a comprehensive list of these drivers - i.e. my WinPE build will detect and load any mass storage device driver included in this list?

I'm adding other MS drivers as documented in this excellent forum. Can I assume that I just need to make the changes to TXTSETUP.SIF and copy .SYS/.INF files to their respective folders - i.e. no registry hive changes are needed ?

Finally, are the .INF files always needed by WinPE ?

Thanks in advance to anyone taking timeout to reply.

You've essentially got the right idea; anything you see in the SCSI section will indeed be accessible. And yes, you can simply copy in the appropriate INF and SYS files to gain additional access to other mass storage drivers in most cases...

I had to make some changes to the TXTSETUP.SIF file to get my Promise 20276 RAID controller to work correctly, but I didn't have to make any changes like that for the Intel ICH5R / ICH6R / AHCI devices I've run into. Not sure what the exact differences are...

Adding NEW drivers is easy. The doc tells you how to do it by modifying the winpeoem.sif and copying the F6 Disk to the folder specified. Here is an example...

[OemDriverParams]

OemDriverRoot="drivers\additional_oem"

OemDriverDirs=INTEL_SATA_82801FR, HP_SAS

The tricky part is actually replacing an existing driver with a new one.

1st you over write the origional driver with the new driver.

Then you edit the txtsetup.sif file and add the new PNP\VEN ID's for the new hardware and bind it to the driver.

If you don't do this... you will never load the driver for the newer hardware that that driver supports.

Ex... HP Smart Array 6400 controller.

The out of box driver does not support it. Replace the driver with the new one and get the PNP\VEN Strings from the INF file and add them to the txtsetup.sif.

Ex:

PCI\VEN_0E11&DEV_B060&SUBSYS_40700E11 = "hpcisss"

PCI\VEN_0E11&DEV_B178&SUBSYS_40820E11 = "hpcisss"

PCI\VEN_0E11&DEV_B178&SUBSYS_40830E11 = "hpcisss"

PCI\VEN_0E11&DEV_B178&SUBSYS_40800E11 = "hpcisss"

PCI\VEN_0E11&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_40910E11 = "hpcisss"

PCI\VEN_0E11&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_409A0E11 = "hpcisss"

PCI\VEN_0E11&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_409B0E11 = "hpcisss"

PCI\VEN_0E11&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_409C0E11 = "hpcisss"

PCI\VEN_0E11&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_409D0E11 = "hpcisss"

PCI\VEN_0E11&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_409E0E11 = "hpcisss"

Chris

I've had some success with this. I don't really want to update the out-of-box MS drivers - just add new ones. I'm also trying the approach of just modifying TXTSETUP.SIF and including all the driver files in the correct directories instead of the WINPEOEM.SIF/OEMTXTSETUP method. Just seems easier to manage.

As many other people have encountered I've hit problems trying to install the NVidia raid driver (why does NVidia have to chose a different driver model from everyone else!!!). Haven't given up on this yet - trying to follow the advice already on this forum about this subject.

Many thanks for your input guys, Ta.