What is exactly the HCL?

jguyomar

I am looking for a list that would enable me to find out if such or such a device could be installed on WINXP or WIN2K without having to provide a Driver Floppy or CD.

In other words, a list that would tell me if WINXP or WIN2K System-supplied Drivers contain the proper drivers for my Device!

I thought that the HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) had that purpose.

But I am wondering now if the HCL includes info about devices that can be installed on WINXP or WIN2K and that do not harm the OS or if it is the inventory of only the devices that have their drivers as system-supplied drivers.

Would someone know the answer about this question?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Julien.

From Microsoft:

The Hardware Compatibility List shows products that have earned the "Designed for Windows" logo or the "Compatible with Windows" designation for the Microsoft® Windows® 2000 operating system. To find products that are "Designed for Windows XP", please see the Windows Catalog.

Note for Manufacturers: Windows Catalogs are replacing the Hardware Compatibility List. If your product is required to be listed in the Hardware Compatibility List, a listing in a Windows Catalog meets that requirement.

See: How to Get in the Windows Catalog.

So in other words HCL is just a list of devices that meet Microsoft requirements and can be used on Windows system without problems. They will still require drivers from CD in most cases.

List of built-in drivers for cameras/scanners is here.

Thanks for your answer!

I've been looking for other lists of Built-In Windows Drivers on the link you provided but couldn't find any other! :no:

The most important list to me would be NICs (LAN/WLAN), Graphic Cards, Sound Cards, MassStorage, and Chipset Built-In Drivers Lists!

Would anyone know about such lists?

There must be somewhere such lists!! :}

Otherwise how do people using DriverPacks to find out which drivers to put in their DriverPacks?? :huh: