need some help

champ

ok i need you guys help

I am employed as a trainee systems admin by a small firm,

ok so out of these three operating systems, which is the best

Windows 2003 server

Linux Fedora Core

Debian Linux

does anyone know where i can find infomation about the pros and cons of each of these operating systems.

Thanks so much

Wow - that's a loaded question.

What is the purpose of the server(s) you're building? What kind of hardware will the server(s) be running? How many administrators are in the environment? How well do you code (not script)? As to pro's and con's, everyone will have different answers based on their experiences and the experiences of others - personally I prefer Windows 2003 and Debian due to stability and ease of administration, but you'll find just as many users pushing Fedore Core or CentOS, or some other Linux distribution.

With all that said, the most important question you should always ask yourself in these scenarios is, what do YOU have experience with? Unless you are able to learn on the job with production systems (and I certainly hope not), go with what you're familiar with first, and learn others in a test environment.

I'll say it again, don't test in production!!! Your nights and weekends are not worth it :).

Edited by cluberti

virtual servers and sandbox labs are your friends... test them out there, as for your question, questions like that have spark flame wars that would engulf this forum :) those are 3 very popular server OSs and it really will come down to

1 what the server will be used for

2 what the level of admin skill you have

3 what level on learning curve you are will to take to learn what you don't already know with a OS that you are only semi familiar with