manufactured and supported by

stu

Yes it is easily changed.

You need to replace the oemlogo.bmp file with a picture of your own choice. The file is found in your system32 folder, there are limitations to the picture size and colour depth unless you hack a file that I can't think of a the moment, but searching in this forum or google will supply the answer. Also if you have a button next the picture called support information, you can amend the info in there by editing the oeminfo.ini file also found in system32. If you dont have the oeminfo.ini file you can create one yourself to display the info you want.

I am a little late to the party, but I figured I might be able to elaborate a bit, as I have come up with a quick tutorial on this a ways back...

OEM Info

If you have a manufactured compter; ie Dell, HP et al, you may have noticed that when you view the properties page of "My Computer" you see the logo of the manufacturer, info about your PC and a button for support. If not, try it now.

1. Right click "My Computer".

2. Select "Properties"

If you see a logo, your PC manufacturer has put it there. You can change it by using the following quick tutorial. If there is nothing there, you can create your own if you'd like.

TIP...If you do have a logo and are not certain whether or not you want it later, I suggest renaming the original file by adding "old_" to the name.

You'll need to be able to see the filename extensions for this.

1. right click start button and select explore

2. In explorer, click Tools>Folder Options> "View" Tab

3. In the window look for "Hide extensions of know file types" remove the check mark there.

4. Select "Apply" then "OK".

5. Close the explorer window.

A basic oeminfo.ini file might look like this...

[General]

Manufacturer=Dell <---or JimBob's Super Computer

Model=Precision <---or whatever the model number is such as Hal2000

[support Information]

Line1=1(800)555-1212<---A support number

Line2=support.com<---The support site at support.com

Line3=Ask For Jim<---additional info you want

Line4=

Line5=

Line6=

Line7=

Line8=

Line9=

To create this file,

1. Right click your desktop and select "New>Text Document"

2. open the new .txt file and put the above lines in it "copy-paste" works great.

3. Edit the info to reflect your info

4. Save and close the document.

5. right click the file and select "rename"

6. rename the document oeminfo.ini

7. hit enter

8. Hit ok when the warning asks you "Are you sure you want to change it?"

9. The icon should have changed now

The oeminfo.ini file is located in the WindowsSystem32 directory. OEM's normally place two files in the directory, one being the oeminfo.ini and the other oemlogo.bmp (which is the image file).

Just make sure when you place your new files there that you only overwrite the original if you are certain you don't want it later.

play with it and you'll get it quickly

Hope that helps someone.

thanks for your help you said If there is nothing there, you can create your own how do i do that omelog thanks stu

you just need to create an bmp file in paint or your favorite image creation program...or do a google image search for an image. All you want to keep in mind is the dimensions of the image. If you stuff a wallpaper bmp in there that's 800x600, it's not going to look right. The other important thing is that you need to name it properly oemlogo.bmp. It's that easy.

Oh, and like oioldman said, save them to the system32 directory.