svcpack.inf method

Tulkens

Hi,

I downloaded all updates and put them in the I386/svcpack folder.

next, I created the svcpack.inf and put in all the hotfixes.

All hotfixes seem to install properly, but when I go to the Microsoft Update site I can still see following updates:

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2006 (KB890830)

Security Update for Windows Media Player 9 (KB911565)

Both hotfixes are in my svcpack folder and in my svcpack.inf

Anyone know why I still have to update them?

Thanks for the reply.

I used the switches I found on this forum (/q /n /z for KB911565 and /q for KB890830)

After I downloaded the files I ran them on a virtual machine and they worked fine.

Besides, shouldn't I get an error during setup at T-13 if any hotfix is corrupt?

greetz

In the system log of the event viewer, I can see the list of 'NtServicePack' (source) installed during installation of Windows XP. All hotfixes are listed there, except the 2 I mentioned.

There were no errors or warnings in that system log.

The 2 hotfixes were installed a few hours later, after I ran a windows update. These hotfixes are listed in the system log with 'Windows Update Agent' as source.

OK, I found out something weird...

I installed a clean XP SP2 (no hotfixes) and installed the 2 hotfixes manualy.

When I ran KB911565, I got an error message stating that I need Windows Media Player 10 installed, which is very strange since in the windows update it says that the hotfix is for Windows Media Player 9. I was able to install the hotfix when running a windows update... I'm totaly confused...

When I ran KB890830, it turned out that it is just a tool that runs only once and removes malicious software. So nothing realy gets installed...

i'd agree with the WMP upate, as i thought it was for 10, but then i do install that first in svcpack.inf;

"MP10Setup.exe /c:""setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore"" /q:A"

so they then get applied after it.

That's the way mailicious tool was designed and is supposed to run, but i've never downloaded and run anyway.