NT4 License problems

ajn

Hi,

I have an interesting problem with an NT4 server, Back office edition.

We use it as our anti-virus server and run a automated fax service (FaxNow) on it.

We recently had problems with users connecting to it with the following event log error

'No license was available for user (...) using product SMBServer 4.0'

We have around 90 users connecting to the server and found that we had only registered 50 licenses - quite obviously, I thought, this was the problem. I increased the licenses on the server to 200 (yes, we do have these licenses available to us).

The problem is that the connection issue didn't go away! I tried re-installing sp6a and patching up the server but nothing has made any difference. The server is reporting 200 licenses but we still have users that cannot connect!

My next step is to re-install the server but I thought I'd post this query before doing so. Can ANYONE help!!!

It might be that you have to set those licences on your domain controller, been a long time since i meddled with NT4 licencing but if you have the licences you can also switch to the mode ' licences are set by client' and loose the licencing service alltotgether.

Hope it helps