user accounts in windows 2000 server

r6su

Hello there,

I have Q. I have user accounts in windows 2000 server which is domain controller. I also have new domain controller running on Windows 2003 Standard Server 64bit. How can I put user accounts into new domain controller. I don't want to use ADMT because this tool failed on 64 bit system :S Any advice?

Thanx!

If the Windows 2000 server is a domain controller, the user accounts aren't actually local to the machine, they're in the AD. Simply do the following to keep everything humming along:

1. Install the DNS server component on the 2003 server

2. Configure DNS on your 2003 server (using the same as the 2000 server's configuration), and appending the 2003 server's DNS information

3. Add the 2003 server to your 2000 domain via the dcpromo command

4. Transfer the FSMO roles (via ntdsutil) to the 2003 server

5. Make the 2003 server a Global Catalog server

Now, just wait a few days to make sure all is well, then run dcpromo the Windows 2000 server to remove it from the domain. All domain information, including accounts, will still be intact.

I'm assuming they are different domains then? I believe there are a few 3rd party pkgs that will do it, but it'll cost.

How about building a 'backup' server in the new domain using any old 32 bit system you have and make it a DC. It may be slow as puke, but you'll only need it for a short time. Then run ADMT to the new DC. You may need to isolate, or shutdown, the 64 bit DC to eliminate any interference, but that should do the trick.

Now, for my 2¢. I would drop the idea of migrating accounts. Looking back at our migration of 8500+ accounts we would've been better off creating them from scratch and scripting the permission changes. Start it clean, don't carry over your acquired problems. The users knew it was coming and were very accomodating of the changes so take advantage of it. :thumbup

Thanx Cluberti!

This is what I was looking for. But I need more informations about ntdsutil and dcpromo commands. Where I can find such information? Another step by step instuction wil be welcome :yes: .

Thanx