WSUS updates fail to install

fizban2

hi all,

having some issues with a WSUS server and a particular update failing to install for some remote users. KB905756 is an excel patch that is not installing for my remote users when they connect to the server, the patch is making it to their machines but they are getting errors in the event viewer about unable to install, installer error code 1603. it is a fatal errror to install but no other information. i was able to get a machine in house and i found installing the patch manually as the admin would solve the problem, only issue is that all the field users and admins, they have been getting patches for several months now without issues, recently they were pushed SP 2 for office 2003 which as much of a nightmare as it was worked out well. my question is anyone else seening errors with this KB or have heard of an issue like this, i am off to the knowledge base after this post to root through there but i thought i would hit up this knowledge base first :)

Thanks in advance

Sounds like a similar problem I was having with Office XP sp3. PC was looking for the CD (or other original install media) before it would install the service pack. In our case the media was on a network drive so logged on remotely as admin and pointed the sp update to the right network location.

yeah we did have that issue, but that part had been resolved (the looking for installation point problem) i have also foudn that a manual install will allow the patch to install fine, but i am not installing this thing 500 times (500+ fieldsales people).