Struggling with WiFi

Pensionada

I am still struggling with my WiFi set-up:

Router is Zyxel 2602HW with the latest firmware (just updated)

My desktop is using a Linksys antenna; my laptop uses a BenQ USB-link. Both computers are on XP Pro SP2 and have identical settings for networking.

After the firmware change (recommended by the ADSL provider), the laptop works perfect; the desktop has real problems getting on-line. What happens is that although it tells me that the signal is very good, it does not get an IP-address from the network and thus does not function. Just leave it for anywhere between 5 and 100 minutes and all of a sudden, it will get an IP-address and work, for some time. Some time, because without any apparent reason, it loses the connection and seems to have lost its IP-address again. But, after 5 to 30 minutes, it will come back ....

Because it always gets the same IP-address (192.168.1.35) anyway, I have tried entering that in the settings instead of having it assigned by the router. That seemed to work: it showed me that I am then connected, but that is not really useful as I cannot get to the internet that way, because it then does not have a DNS address ( I have no idea what to enter for it)

The wireless signal is great; I have reloaded the software just to make sure.

I have no idea what to do/check next: the settings must be OK, as otherwise I would not get a connection ever and the laptop is doing OK.

Any suggestions?

Are you using the linksys software, or the built-in Windows Zero Configuration client? Also, have you updated the firmware and drivers (if available) for the Linksys device?

If the laptop is working fine, then you know it's highly likely that the AP is working fine as well, and the problem lies with the Linksys device.

Check the router DHCP settings, make sure it isn't set to maximum 1 connection or something like that.

DHCP settings are OK; there is no way to set number of connections

Are you using the linksys software, or the built-in Windows Zero Configuration client? Also, have you updated the firmware and drivers (if available) for the Linksys device?

If the laptop is working fine, then you know it's highly likely that the AP is working fine as well, and the problem lies with the Linksys device.

I followed up on this; downloaded newer software which did not make much difference.

However, when switching off the built-in Win Zero conf client and using the Linksys monitor it does connect, BUT "the Internet cannot be found".

So, I disabled the Linksys antenna and put the laptop (BenQ) USB antenna in. After manually starting the Zero config client, it worked fine.

Then, I took the BenQ out again and enabled the Linksys. In Windows zero config client, I had the same problem as before (no connection, as it gets no IP address); starting via the Linksys monitor it does connect; IPCONFIG shows the proper IP addresses, but it still tells me: "You are connected to the access point, but the Internet cannot be found".

So, is the conclusion that the Linksys antenna is broken or??