Multi Manufacturer Pre-Activation

Is HPQSI.EXE publicly available? I know I have a copy of IBM's SMBIOS.EXE, I'll try to see if I can do anything with the output of these files. I don't want to build my script around files that are not freely available to the public.

:no:

We can use another command line tool call GetSys.exe, which is part of 'Mitec System Information Component Suite'.

ReadMe.txt

MSICS is freeware.

Sources are available on purchase/registration. Price is 110 euro (EUR).

For registration details see Order.txt file in this package.

Distribution pack:

------------------

The zip file has subdirectories in it. You must use the pkunzip -d option

to restore this directory tree or you will have problems because the files

will not be in their proper subdirectories.

This is the subdirectory layout:

.\ Info directory

.\apps Applications written using this component

.\demos Sample applications

.\dll MSICS.DLL library for using MSI data from any app

.\help HTML Help file

.\D5 compiled units containing components and packages for installing for Delphi 5 (not in registered version)

.\D6 compiled units containing components and packages for installing for Delphi 6 (not in registered version)

.\D7 compiled units containing components and packages for installing for Delphi 7 (not in registered version)

.\BDS3 compiled units containing components and packages for installing for Delphi 2005 (not in registered version)

.\BDS4 compiled units containing components and packages for installing for Delphi 2006 (not in registered version)

.\Sources source files (only in registered version)

You can get it by downloading the full package, extract and grab the exe in \Apps\GetSys folder.

We can use another command line tool call GetSys.exe, which is part of 'Mitec System Information Component Suite'.

Have you used this program during setup? The output looks more like WMI than SMBIOS.

I origionally wanted to use the clipboard but MS doesn't let VBScript files access the clipboard. I changed the code from MsgBox to WScript.Echo so you can redirect the output to a text file

I'm a little late coming to the thread, but if you still have any interest in utilizing the clipboard from a VBscript, just use AutoItX.

Set ai = WScript.CreateObject("AutoItX3.Control")
text = ai.ClipGet()
WScript.Echo "Clipboard contains:" & text

You just need to have AutoItX.dll registered.

I'm a little late coming to the thread, but if you still have any interest in utilizing the clipboard from a VBscript, just use AutoItX.

Set ai = WScript.CreateObject("AutoItX3.Control")
text = ai.ClipGet()
WScript.Echo "Clipboard contains:" & text

You just need to have AutoItX.dll registered.

Thanks, but I prefer to use built-in features of the OS or stand-alone applications for OS deployment and management.

Have you used this program during setup? The output looks more like WMI than SMBIOS.

Yes i've launched Getsys.exe @T39. Here the output:

MiTeC System Information Utility 10.2.0 - Copyright © 1997-2006 Michal Mutl

Type /? for options

SYSTEM OVERVIEW...OK

Machine: MACHINENAME

System : PC multiprocesseur ACPI

Model : Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq dc7600 Convertible Minitower

UpTime : 2 Minutes, 47 Seconds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU : 1 x Intel Pentium 4 - 2990 MHz

Cache: 16 KB L1 + 2048 KB L2 + 0 KB L3

Mainboard: Hewlett-Packard 09F0h

Memory : 503 MB

Operating system: Windows XP Professional [5.1.2600]Service pack : 2.0

Logged user : SYSTEM

Display adapter: Intel® 82945G Express Chipset Family

Memory : 128 MB

Fixed : Promise 1X2 Mirror/RAID - 76316 MB (SCSI)

C: (Primary NTFS - 76308 MB)

DVD : LITE-ON DVD SOHD-167T - 0 MB (ATAPI)

D:

Keyboard:

Mouse:

Default printer:

As you can see, @T39 we don't get full infos about PCI PnP Devices because they're not yet installed.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a look a GetSys and decided not to use it because it merges the manufacturer and model into 1 long string. I've decided to use IBM's SMBIOS but need some help extracting the manufacturer's name from the output file.

Do you mean something like indy_dba's way in this post?

If you need further help, I would be glad to give a hand.

With indy_dba's method I would need to hardcode every manufacturer's name in my script or have every user modify their own scripts based on which computers they own. (Even worse the script might see a component manufacturer's name and miskake it for the system manufacturer.)

This is what I need my script to do:

Run SMBIOS (I think /G) and redirect the output to a text file

Search the output file for the "System Information" section

Search the "System Information" section for the "Manufacturer" line

Convert the manufacturer string into hex and replace the OEMBIOS files with files named with the hex string.

My script would not have to be modified when you by another PC from a a new manufacturer all you have to do is collect the OEMBIOS files from your new computer rename them with the manufacturer's hex string (I've already written these scripts) and drop the files onto your CD.

Manufacturer: Elitegroup Co.

Model: i-Buddie

456C6974 6567726F 75702043 6F2E2020 20202020 20202020 20202020 20202020

Hope this helps

:hello:

I don't thing this unit uses preactivation :( Also notice that the manufacturers name has 18 spaces after it, this is the reason I converted the string to hex.

This is what I need my script to do:

Run SMBIOS (I think /G) and redirect the output to a text file

Convert the manufacturer string into hex and replace the OEMBIOS files with files named with the hex string.

My script would not have to be modified when you by another PC from a a new manufacturer all you have to do is collect the OEMBIOS files from your new computer rename them with the manufacturer's hex string (I've already written these scripts) and drop the files onto your CD.

@for /f "tokens=1* delims=: " %%i in ('smbiosd /t:1 ^|findstr "Manufacturer"') do @set "Manufacturer=%%j" &@call echo/%Manufacturer%

Previous script based from an original script by Yzöwl

for converting manufacturer string into hex with batch script, ask Yzöwl batch expert. If you use vbs or wsh, you could not run the script @T39

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

May I suggest the attached script for including conversion to hex...

It may not be very elegant, but it should work at any time as soon as CMD.EXE works (@T39,...).

EDIT3 :blushing: : repaired the broken handling of spaces. Simplified and commented the code.

optimized version --> the Hex conversion works with some of the 7-bits printable ASCII characters: 32 (x20: <space>) to 126(x7E: ~).

Many many many problems with the double quote (") and the CMD special characters (&<|>^). Yappari.

Hex codes grouped by 4, separated with spaces.

ManufacturerHex.cmd

Edited by Djé

I'n using this line of code

for /F "tokens=1* delims='" %%a in ('smbios.exe /G ^|findstr "Manufacturer"') do converttohex.bat "%%b"

Currently it is calling converttohex each time it encounters the string "Manufacturer". How can I make only call converttohex for the first occurance.

Currently it is calling converttohex each time it encounters the string "Manufacturer". How can I make only call converttohex for the first occurance.

If you would use the smbiosd linked to by indy_dba, and use the '/t:1' switch as shown by bilou, I think you would have only ONE occurance of "Manufacturer".

the '/t:1' switch perform your 1st point, and the 'FOR' loop the 2nd ;)

However, if you want to stick to IBM's SMBIOS which I don't know and may not have the same switch, you can exit the loop after the first occurance by doing it this way:

for /F "tokens=1* delims='" %%a in ('smbios.exe /G ^|findstr "Manufacturer"') do (
converttohex.bat "%%b"
GOTO ENDFOR
)
:ENDFOR

Edited by Djé