Why windows 2003 server r2 (cd1) and sp1 edition can't be optimize

victor888

I try to optimize windows server 2003 r2 cd1 and sp1 by using cdimage, while the result is that the final size of the iso is the combination of the two versions.

Anyway they are all sp1 versions in fact. Who can tell why they can't be optimized with a single version size?

3Q

Edited by victor888

I've noticed this too!

Its partially because of the date-stamps on the files.

Well, if the files are same in byte-size & you know for SURE that they're the same, just replace them!

For example, you know that the file "drivers.cab" in both CDs are identical - just copy one over the other!

thanks to prathapml

I think it is not easy to determin whether tow files are identical. Maybe beyound compare is a good selection.

I know little about date-stamp, should I just compare files by their sizes?

Is is possible to let cdimage to determine?(maybe impossible).

any reply is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply.

I compared i386 and subfolders with WinDiff.exe located in \support\tools\support.cab of the cd.

All the filenames are the same, and all the files are the same except that the eula.txt and the os-marker mdmssys.in_ have different content.

Fact is that you could use the Windows Server 2003 SP1 CD with a R2 key, and it would install R2 (ask for CD2 after first login).

Well, I don't know exactly what it does, only that it contains a unique UUIDREF.

My guess is that it tells what Windows version it is, but I don't know....

There is no reference to that file in txtsetup.sif, and there is no such file in the Windows folder when setup is complete, so I guess it just tells what cd/os version it is? Only guessing here, though.