Exchange 2003 5.0.0 error

gremin

Hi There, We have a install of Exchnage on windows server 2003 which has been configured, has users, has been told that it should accept mail for a "@maildomain", but every time we send a email message to a "user@maildomain" the server is bouncing the mail back with the following error:

Final-Recipient: rfc822;user@maildomain

Action: failed

The server is using a smart host to send its mail and there is an internet-based mail server which accepts mail for the domain and forwards it to our DSL links IP address.

Can someone point me in a starting direction for solving this issue please?

Thanks, Simon

I'd say that unless you've done a typo on the domain, that is the issue - there's no tld at the end, and thus Exchange DNS lookups on the FQDN are failing.

For reference, it's even telling you which RFC it's failing on, RFC 822.

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc822.html

Opps - sorry. I have replaced the real user and domain name (with TLD) with user@maildomain for the sake of posting here - sorry for the confusion here, i should have mentioned that.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me on the orig question?

Thanks

5.0.0 SMTP 500 reply code

Most likely, a routing group error, no routing connector, or no suitable address space in the connector. (Try adding * in the address space)

Perhaps posting the source output from a bounced message will give us more data to help you with? It is basically complaining that it cannot deliver for that domain, so it has to be a configuration error...

Thanks for the reply!

5.0.0 SMTP 500 reply code

Most likely, a routing group error, no routing connector, or no suitable address space in the connector. (Try adding * in the address space)

Where do i add a * in the address space?

Perhaps posting the source output from a bounced message will give us more data to help you with? It is basically complaining that it cannot deliver for that domain, so it has to be a configuration error...

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:

Sent: 21/03/2006 2:24 p.m.

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

Firstname Lastname on 21/03/2006 2:21 p.m.

The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason. Check the address and try again. If it still fails, contact your system administrator.

<thiswas.the.server.name #5.0.0>

Just looking thru the setup on the exchange server: I the Default Recipient Policy we have the three domains entered as SMTP Email addresses: eg @domain1.com, @domain2.com, @domain3.com.

Isnt this where you tell exchnage that it is authoriative for the domain but clicking the "This Exchnage Org is responsible for all mail delivery to this address"...

Ive then checked the users to make sure that the addresses are listed in each users propoerties: e.g. user1@domain1.com, user1@domain2.com and user1@domain3.com.

Also, from the bounce back message, the user1@domain1.com is mapping correctly to user1 in the exchnage server, as the bounce back reports user1's Firstname and Lastname back... Whats not happening is that the mail is not being delivered to the exchnage mailbox.

I'd suggest doing the following at this point:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/SMTPDI...3-SMTP-DNS.html

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Diagnostics-Logging.html

One (or both) should help assist you in determining why mail is not flowing at your organization.

OK...Cool!

Does an internal exchange server need to have its DNS setup to tell it that its the mail server for a given domain? I thought you just told the exchnage server that "You are looking after this domain".

Here is the output of the Event Log with this particular error:

"A non-delivery report with a status code of 5.0.0 was generated for recipient rfc822;user@domain1.com (i have replaced this!!) (Message-ID <BIGLONGHASH@mail.gmail.com>).

Cause: This indicates a permanent failure. Possible causes : 1)No route is defined for a given address space. For example, an SMTP connector is configured, but this recipient address does not match the address spaces for which it routes mail. 2)Domain Name Server (DNS) returned an authoritative host not found for the domain. 3)The routing group does not have a connector defined û mail from one server in the routing group has no way to get to another routing group.

Solution: Verify that this error is not caused by a DNS lookup problem, and then check the address spaces configured on your STMP connectors. If you are delivering Internet mail through an SMTP connector, consider adding an address space of type SMTP with value ô*ö (an asterisk) to one of the SMTP connectors to make routing possible. Verify all routing groups are connected to each other through a routing group connector or another connector."

Yes, and Exchange server should have valid (internal) DNS server entries configured in it's TCPIP connection settings, and the DNS server it points to should know about the domains you are hosting.

Yes, and Exchange server should have valid (internal) DNS server entries configured in it's TCPIP connection settings, and the DNS server it points to should know about the domains you are hosting.

So if the exchange server also acts as a forwarding DNS server for the internal network clients... then the 127.0.0.1 should also be the primary DNS server for in the TCP/IP settings?

And in the DNS on that same server needs to have each domain that you want exchange to accept mail for in, with MX records pointing to itself? This seems a bit much if you have a few domains that you need to accept mail for... esp as this is an internal server, and does not accept mail directly from the outside world (runs thru a forwarding server).

Am i missing something here?

Thank you for the support so far!!

Simon