Dial-up Connection

I have created an unattended install CD and I now want to set up dial-up connections for our users.

We have a listing of about 15 dial-up numbers, and I would like to create a connection that has all 15 numbers (1 primary and 14 alternates).

I would also like to put in the comments section of the number (where the location of the number is).

is this possible?

Yes it's possible.

Look for and edit Rasphone.pbk file in the %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk folder

Add a new paragraph and change name/phone number for each alternate connection

Use Nircmd.exe to create the user name, password and domain of your dial-up item.

Look around "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections" if you want to link PAC to that connection.

HTH

ok... i figured out... (finally) ... :blushing: ... how to add the user info using that tool

nircmd setdialuplogon "VPN1" "user1" "password" "domain1"

however.... i need to know how to allow this username & password to be accessible to all users....

how do i check the option shown in the picture using command lines?

post-72366-1141765712_thumb.jpg

Ok let's go a step further

Xp store this setting in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{modem id}\000?]

"ModemProfile" ... a real mess when you want to apply a solution for different kind of modems (laptops)

Let's do it another way !

Your connection must exist (alluser) before doing that

Dont worry, if by default, RunOnce does not exist in the Default User hive ... it works

reg load hklm\tmp "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\ntuser.dat"
set cmd="%windir%\system32\nircmd.exe setdialuplogon \"VPN1\" \"user1\" \"password\" \"domain1\""
reg add hklm\tmp\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce /v FixDialer /t reg_sz /d %cmd%
reg unload hklm\tmp

In this case, every users who logs in for the first time will get a working dialer

If you need to fix connection on machine where users have already logs in, you should look for Modify Profile and add the same command (with a regkey) in RunOnce of every existing users hives.

Be carefull ... when you load hive you must unload that hive before closing session or restart

HTH

Sorry for my franglish

Ok let's go a step further

Xp store this setting in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{modem id}\000?]

"ModemProfile" ... a real mess when you want to apply a solution for different kind of modems (laptops)

Let's do it another way !

Your connection must exist (alluser) before doing that

Dont worry, if by default, RunOnce does not exist in the Default User hive ... it works

reg load hklm\tmp "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\ntuser.dat"
set cmd="%windir%\system32\nircmd.exe setdialuplogon \"VPN1\" \"user1\" \"password\" \"domain1\""
reg add hklm\tmp\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce /v FixDialer /t reg_sz /d %cmd%
reg unload hklm\tmp

In this case, every users who logs in for the first time will get a working dialer

If you need to fix connection on machine where users have already logs in, you should look for Modify Profile and add the same command (with a regkey) in RunOnce of every existing users hives.

Be carefull ... when you load hive you must unload that hive before closing session or restart

HTH

Sorry for my franglish

ok... I have tried that .... and it didnt seem to work. any other suggestions?

by the way... thank you for all your help.... I have at least a working dialer, with a username and password. The only problem is that I have to manually set it for all users to be able to connect to that dialer. If I can automate that, then that would be great. Thanks again for all you have done!!! :thumbup

ok... I have tried that .... and it didnt seem to work. any other suggestions?

by the way... thank you for all your help.... I have at least a working dialer, with a username and password. The only problem is that I have to manually set it for all users to be able to connect to that dialer. If I can automate that, then that would be great. Thanks again for all you have done!!!

No other suggestions !

It works. At the office, over 400 laptops had been deployed that way.

Few check to get it work ...

rasphone.pbk must be in "AllUser"

reg.exe must be somewhere in your path search

Connection name in command line must be the same as in the Lan Connection window

Any error if you type the commands one by one at prompt ?

Before unloading the hive, take a look in hklm\tmp\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\FixDialer and see if you get the same command that works at the prompt. You should not see the backslash in the registry, only the double-quoted variable like that

%windir%\system32\nircmd.exe setdialuplogon "VPN1" "user1" "password" "domain1"

ok... i went through your checklist... and all seems to fine.....

before I unload the hive.... do i have to copy the path found in RunOnce?

I think you're missing something !

No you dont have to. It was just to be sure that the command in this key was exactly the same one that work on prompt. And if it works on prompt ... why not in RunOnce !!!

Once again, this command will fix your dialer for every new user who had never logged before you write it to the registry. It simple and it works !

If you want to apply this fix on existing user, please read previous post