USB Drivers not automatically Installing

glassbeat

Hi.

I'm trying to set up some computers in the lab at the school I work at. Here's my problem:

Whenever someone inserts a flash drive, memory stick, or any USB device for that matter, it does not automatically install the drivers. It does, however, find that you have inserted a USB device and displays it as such in the device manager. You can then go to the properties of this "USB device" under Other devices and choose to install the drivers manually, which it will then find them automatically and everything fine, and work. Then you can take it out and put it back in and it will detect it fine.

Problem is, students coming into the lab wanting to use THEIR memory sticks won't be able to follow these same steps and shouldn't have to.

What I'm wondering is, that is there some setting in windows that someone could have enabled which stops the add hardware wizard from installing drivers for new devices unless you do it manually? Something that someone set when imaging the computers? (I didn't set them up but now I have to fix them)

This isn't normal, i've tried these devices on other computers and have had no problem, the add hardware wizard just does everything automatically sets up all the drivers as soon as you plug it in on those computers, but for some reason the ones in this lab are different.

If nothing else I guess I could re-image all the computers in this lab but it's a long process and who says it'll even fix the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help, if you need any other info to help me with this one, just ask.

p.s. these comps are running XP Professional Ed.

Edited by glassbeat