system hangs on shut down

I just got an HP MCE 2005 64bit. When I try to restart or shutdown windows, the system seems to hang. Task manager wont display, no programs will open ( I get a warning which says the program can not open because windows is shutting down...) I end up having to restart manualy. The Event viewer isn't much help. No Warnings or Errors are displayed except once I got this:

"Windows saved user **EDITED**\HP_Administrator registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account."

Not sure if that has anything to do with the hang.

Has anyone had an issue similar to this? any ideas?

Thanks

It has EVERYTHING to do with the hang - if Windows can't unload the registry, it WON'T shut down for fear of corrupting it.

Have you installed any antivirus software, antispyware software, or printer drivers recently that may coincide with the problem's first occurrance? These are the usual suspects.

Also, you may want to post this in Windows XP - if you truly have Windows Media Center Edition 2005 installed, it's only 32bit...

I figured it did, but I've only gotten that event log once even though I've had this problem many times.

I actually installed all 3, antivirus, antispyware, and printer drivers which all coincied the the problem's first occurance. I will start with the anytispyware because I believe it is that.

So my OS isn't true 64bit?

MCE 2005 is only supported on Windows XP 32 bit. Go to your System Properties (Start > Control Panel > System) and see what it says under "System". If it's 64bit, it'll say so. Otherwise, it'll probably say Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2, which will be 32bit.

There's only two officially released x64 OSes. Windows Server 2003 x64 and Windows XP Professional x64. No Home x64, no MCE x64. As clueberti said, it's only a 32-bit OS. You're probably confusing the CPU being an Athlon64/Sempron64 or an Intel with EM64T capabilities with the OS being 64-bit.