Classic Logon Screen customization

First, thank you for an excellent Unattended Guide. Everything has worked rather well, and my Unattended worked.......until I decided to try something that looked simple and has stumped me: a customized logon screen. Not the Welcome Screen, but the Classic logon screen. I've read the Guide 5 times at least.

I used ResEdit, chose my pic, saved the file. Here's question one: Do I change the extension to a .dll, or keep the .resbuild extension that ResEdit assigns?

I added the regedit entry in the first line of my regtweaks.reg file which is called/installed via start.cmd

Should I have it somewhere else?

Any and all help would be much appreciated. And yes, I've searched the forums and found much on customizing the Welcome Screen, but I've tried many times what I've found re: the Classic logon to no avail.

Again, thx for any help!

ps. Could this be WFP that is keeping this from working?

EDIT: I am using FAT32, not NTFS.

EDIT: I've tried the reg entry, and a customized .dll, and Windows still reverts to the original msgina.dll........any suggestions???

Edited by =|= buzzbomb

This will teach you how to modify the msgina.dll file, and fix the WFP problem:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=9878

It has been awhile since i have used resedit, but after modding the dll, chose save as, and it should save it as a dll file. It it is still not a dll, then yes, change the extention to a dll.

If you could post the lines you used for your reg tweak, it would be helpfull.

I have never ran XP on fat32 before, but i know with NTFS that you need to modify the reg so that it does not just replace your dll files.

The link at the top will help you with that.

Thank for your kind and helpful response. I will read up on that.

I also tried Resource Hacker, and that seemed much easier to use. However, I still get the original logons.

Maybe the reg entry to keep Windows from using the original .dll is it, but I'll read up first.

Oh, and here's the code i used in my reg tweak file:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
GinaDll="bzzgina.dll"

I also tried it with quotes around GinaDll, like this: "GinaDll"

Thx!

EDIT: I read some of that guide already, and tried using the way he described, but maybe I missed something?!

Edited by =|= buzzbomb