[Error] Explorer.exe not closing on shut down

oberststen

I had just formatted a pc with winxp sp2, but now, everytime it shutdown i get an error telling me that explorer.exe can't close, with a dialog with a progress bar, but even if it fisnish the progress bar it doesn't close i need to manually click the "end task" button (or something like that i have it on spanish)

any solution? it seems to appear when i do the windows update (because i just install before, winrar, messenger 7.5 and msgplus, but i don't think 1 of them is the reason)

Thanks, jaime

Run a utility called "Process Explorer" from www.sysinternals.com, and take a look inside the explorer.exe process to see what is exactly running within that process. You'll be surprised as to how much runs within explorer.exe, and you may get a good idea as to what might be the problem the next time you shut down.

You may also want to try a utility called "Autoruns" (another sysinternals utility) to disable all non-Microsoft items. Reboot, and then try to shut down - if the problem doesn't occur, you will know it's something third-party (usually a virus scanner, but sometimes it's a utility in the systray) causing the issue.

Thanks a lot for all the help I tried with Autoruns and the problem is with my Network Card, now I need help on this.

I have an ADSL connection, so I have a external modem, if I first turn on the Modem and then the PC I have the explorer.exe error, but if I turn on first the PC and when it is logged on my account I turn on the Modem, it doesn't happen, what can it be?

Thanks, Jaime