[Question] - How to clean the pagin file once ?

albator

you can not delete files from ghost explorer, only extract.

you could use a live cd like "BartPe" to delete the page file off your hard drive. i do this about once a month for performance.

You're correct. Ghost Explorer will not let you delete files from an NTFS image. For some reason NTFS images are read-only according to the documentation.

If the partition type is FAT, however, deletion is allowed.

Sure wish I can delete the pagefile.... it's 700 mb of the image size.

BartPE does not recognize my HDD, even though I added the RAID/SATA drivers. Haven't figured out how to do this yet.

Edited by spacesurfer

BartPE does not recognize my HDD, even though I added the RAID/SATA drivers. Haven't figured out how to do this yet.

you should be able to download the raid/sata drivers and put them in c:\pebuilder313\drivers\SCSIAdapter

create a folder in "scsiadapter" and put the drivers in the new folder..

Edited by net_user

you should be able to download the raid/sata drivers and put them in c:\pebuilder313\drivers\SCSIAdapter

create a folder in "scsiadapter" and put the drivers in the new folder..

I tried that, however, HDD still not recognized. I know the drivers work because I can install Win XP using these drivers.

I think I may be doing something wrong. Do you have to include the txtsetup.oem file? If so, what should be the directory structure. The driver files on my CD have this structure:

txtsetup.oem

winxp\driverfile.inf

winxp\driverfile.sys

Should the txtsetup.oem file be moved to winxp folder so all files are in the same folder?

@net_user

Ok, I'll try that tonight when I get home.

One other problem I ran into, however. While trying that last night, although my HDD was not recognized, I thought since ghost executable recognizes all HDD types, it should recognize the drive. However, the DOS ghost executable would not run. The error I got was "cannot run in NT/2003/??/??" environment.

I know there is a ghost32.exe that runs in winxp, i wonder if that will work.

Your acronis image does not use any more space for the pagefile. It's created as a zero-byte file within the archive. You'll never need to worry about the pagefile or hibernation file when it comes to Acronis True Image.

False, I just did it with acronis true image server for windows. My first image of my c drive was 409 meg, now it's up to 850 ! This suck it don even fit on a cd-rom anymore. :realmad:

False, I just did it with acronis true image server for windows. My first image of my c drive was 409 meg, now it's up to 850 ! This suck it don even fit on a cd-rom anymore. :realmad:

Just to rule out any other reasons/causes of your image being bloated, can you verify with an image explorer that your pagefile is non-zero in size?

Ghost has Ghost Explorer that lets you view your files. I'm unfamiliar with Acronis. Does it have a similar program that let's you view and extract files if needed from the images it contains?

Just to rule out any other reasons/causes of your image being bloated, can you verify with an image explorer that your pagefile is non-zero in size?

Ghost has Ghost Explorer that lets you view your files. I'm unfamiliar with Acronis. Does it have a similar program that let's you view and extract files if needed from the images it contains?

Acronis does allow you to view the archives that are created. You mount them and view them in my computer as you would with an ISO and Daemon Tools. When mounted, the file is listed as its full size, but the actual size in the archive is 0 bytes. So viewing it in the Acronis mounter won't help.

@albator - I'm not sure what's going on, but you already asked about the paging file in my Acronis Bootable CD guide here. I did a test there with version 8, and I'm doing a test again with v9 as I write this.

However... I've noticed something different between our installs... I'm running Acronis True Image from within Windows, while you're using the bootable rescue media. This might be causing the differences, because the bootable media may not be able to reckognize what is a system file and what isn't. From the bootable rescue media, it may not be excluding the pagefile like it would within Windows. I'll do a bit more testing on this and let you know how it goes.

And... as I'm writing this, the v9 is done. Both file sizes (with and without pagefile) are essentially the same. We're talking about a few KB this way or that, but nothing like what you're experiencing.

EDIT - I just tried this again with the bootable rescue media (Acronis True Image 9) and both archives came out to the same size... :wacko:

Edited by Zxian

@spacesurfer

Dont insult me by assuming I trust Microsoft for my pc stability and security. :)

Thank Zxian, I had try with version 9 and it does the same thing, I dont know why, may I should do a final test with the sofware installed. Or at worst I will burn it to a dvd or split to 2 cd.

And for the other topic, It seem I got busted. :)

Thank Zxian, I had try with version 9 and it does the same thing, I dont know why, may I should do a final test with the sofware installed. Or at worst I will burn it to a dvd or split to 2 cd.

And for the other topic, It seem I got busted. :)

Perhaps... although I did a test just today with the bootable rescue media and the archive file comes out to the same size. This was pretty much the same results that I got with Acronis 8, so I'm not sure where exactly the problem lies.

Guys, I need help big time. I screwed up.

Here's what I did:

I got the HDD drivers loaded in UBCD environment and was able to see my HDD after all. Then I found the pagefile and deleted the file. (It was something like 750 mb). Then I ran ghost32.exe which runs in NT environment. I got an error message saying there was internal error blah blah blah. So I never ran Ghost. I didn't change anything else. Did not touch anything on my HDD except deleting the pagefile.

Here's what happened:

I restarted back in Windows XP and my internet does not work. I have two computers connected to a Linksys router (with Vonage). I can see the other computer, I can access files and printer that is shared. Everything works fine except that the Internet does not work. I can't browse anymore. I tried ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew on both computer. Funny thing is: INTERNET ON **BOTH** WENT DOWN.

I tried turning off everything, router, cable modem. Rebooting and same problem. I can see netword resourses but no internet browsing.

I booted to UBCD and connected to internet to post this message.

If anyone know what going on, please let me know.

(I don't think pagefily had anything to do with it because I ran ghost from DOS and returned my system back to a previuos state and same problem.)

Thanks.