[Question] - How to clean the pagin file once ?

albator

I got internet working. Left both computers off overnight. In AM rebooted and they work.

I also created a CD with Ghost 8 on UBCD. Ghost 8.2 gives errors (internal error of some sort). Then I tried Ghost 8 files and it works fine. I also created an image after deleting the pagefile and it turned out okay.

I actually created a CD with both Ghost 8 and 8.2. Maybe for someone else, 8 may not work and 8.2 may work. That way, there's the option of running either one.

Learned quite a few things in the process about UBCD.

The only benefit of UBCD so far (for me) is my ghost images can be smaller after deleting the pagefile and temporary files.

Other than that, it's just faster to put floppy in and start ghost. My ghost executable is actually on a 15 mb Fat partition and once the floppy boots, running the 0.98 mb ghost is a snap from HDD. (running ghost from floppy takes like 2 minutes).

Thanks for your help guys. Zxian, albator, and the rest.

Edited by spacesurfer

Here's the deal about deleting the pagefile from the UBCD:

You can delete it, but the file is still stored in the recycler folder. I deleted it and ran Ghost and there was no difference in my Ghost image. That puzzled me, so then I ran UBCD again and noticed the recycler was 750 mb (the same size as my pagefile).

I emptied the recycler from the explorer. The recycler folder was emptied out.

You can delete the files from the recycle folder itself. You have to empty the recycle bin from explorer (the one on the taskbar).

Hope that helps anyone trying to delete their pagefile for a smaller image.

Just wanted to make sure everyone is clear about the pagefily and Ghost Images.

Norton Ghost 2003 and 8.0 both skip the pagefile when creating images.

Here's how I figured: After installing Windows XP (clean installation), I created a Ghost Image. The size of the image was 630 mb. I explored the files with Ghost explorer and noticed that pagefile.sys was listed as one of the files with its size being 740 mb. To me, it's just impossible to have one file in the image 740 mb and the image size to be 630 mb.

Then, I made images before deleting pagefile and after deleting pagefile and both times, the image size didn't change.

Therefore, there's no need to delete the pagefile with Ghost images.

(Basically, disregard my previous post about deleting pagefile. There's no need.)

Edited by spacesurfer

@spacesurfer - Good job! What you described is pretty much what I was saying earlier with Acronis True Image. The file is marked as being a 740MB file, but it's stored in the archive as a zero-byte file, meaning that the archive with and without this file won't change in size.

Thanks for confirming this for other users. :)