[Help] | Batch File for XP updates

03GrandAmGT

Hello everyone. Hope ya all had a great T-day for those who celebrate it. My question is this, after downloading the updates for XP what would I need to put into the system and batch file for the updates to be installed when a user first logs in to the machine and not repeat after the updates have been installed? I have 5 computers and not all of them get turned on or left running daily. For example my wife's computer gets used once or twice a month and I would like it for when she logs into her machine that the batch file would automatically install the updates reboot and then not install until the next set of MS updates/fixes. On my machine I have a simple batch file which I double click on to install the new fixes. This simple batch file resides on a basic storage computer within our workgroup. have searched the forums for batch files but cannot find any relating to this particular issue.

Thanks

John

You can just set each user to have a login script.

Then, kind of hack the system by creating files that identify each set of monthly updates in a folder somewhere. In the login script, have an IF EXISTS or IF NOT EXISTS statement. If the file exists, then that month's updates have already been installed. If not, then they are not installed and you can grab them via a public network share on your storage computer.

At the end, just have a shutdown command in the batch file. Something like

shutdown -r -t 60 -c "Please save your work. Restart in 60 seconds." -f

here is an example of something i use...

basically if the file does not exist, it runs the install...

if exist c:\windows\system32\barracudaaddin.dll goto ok
"R:\Applications\Utility\Barracuda Outlook Plug-in.exe"

:ok

Thanks Guys,

I am trying to find my old MS-Dos book :w00t: that had a bunch of stuff in it. Since using winblows dos commands have been a thing of the past for me, :blushing: had to do a little batch file stuff but not anything relating to what I need. Just tonight I had a BRAIN FART and forgot how to just do CD\xxx. :blushing: Not Alzheimers just if you don't use it you lose it. :yes:

Thanks again!!!!!

john