CAB files and Remote Administration

gremin

Hi There,

We have a (soon to be) remote 2003 server. Is there a way to load install DVD image onto the server, say using a disk image program (does this work with the copy protection thing?), or can you do it with CAB files somehow.

Thanks for any help here!

Simon

Sure, you can do that...but I don't see what the question is in regards to remote administration.

Also, you pointed out copy protection...if it has protection, you may not be able to make an image. What are you trying to do? A little more info may go a long way...

Sure, you can do that...but I don't see what the question is in regards to remote administration.

Also, you pointed out copy protection...if it has protection, you may not be able to make an image. What are you trying to do? A little more info may go a long way...

:) OK, we have a windows 2003 server that is in the development phase at the moment, soon it will be deployed in a remote rack, so im wondering how to cover off the problem that if you ever need to install new stuff on it (using remote desktop), how you get on without access to the DVD/CD drive?

Thanks

Simon

Then you're right on. I use UltraISO to make cd images, but you can use almost any. Most common applications don't have any copy protection for that yet, so you shouldn't have to worry about it. To make life even easier you could script some kind of install script that a client machine could run that would mount the iso using a virtual cd application, run the installer, and then remove the virtual cd. Daemon Tools supports command line, but I think the driver needs to be loaded. You could use AutoIt if you feel up to it.

Also, if you can get a script working, you could use psTools to run it. Great set of tools if you don't already have it, the psExec is the one you'll want specifically.