hardware raid 1 mirror

rjz

If I do a mirror from scratch windows will just install normal correct? If Someone already has a system with xp they can't just do a hardware mirror? Am I right about these? I am gettiung boards with mirroring on them biult in sata.

a mirror is put into place after the OS is installed and upgraded to a dynamic disk, unless it is a hardware raid and your raid controller is handling the mirror if youa re getting a motherboard with raid 1 built in you would install windows on one disk, upgrade it to Dynamic and the upgrade the other disk to a dynamic disk also then mirror the 2

You'll want to establish the array first, then install your OS. Once you install an OS like 2000/XP/2003, it's very painful to transfer that to a different disk subsystem. Or at least, it's easier to just plan ahead and not worry about that...so create the RAID array in the hardware RAID's setup menu...

Of course, by doing this you'll need to be able to supply drivers for the OS setup so it can see the RAID controller, so you'll have to plan for that as well. Most boards with RAID should come with a floppy disk that you can use, or you can look into integrating the drivers into the OS setup's source. That's neat, because then you don't have to worry about anything as the OS setup doesn't skip a bit. But it's way more complicated than just sticking in a floppy, so keep that in mind.

After that, there's nothing more to worry about. Since the OS already knows about your RAID controller, you don't need to install any drivers once the OS is finished installing. And, since it's hardware RAID, you don't have to install any extra applications unless you want, but I never bother with them. Most are just reporting info, or maybe give you a different way to configure things...but it's all useless in most cases. The OS and software don't know or care that the disks are RAID, so no worries there either.

If you go the software route and use dynamic disks then that's one thing, but I figure that's gotta be slow compaired to even the cheapest hardware solution. Plus, you have an extra level of crap to worry about, since a screwed up OS may affect the whole array, resulting in you loosing extra data should things go belly up.

Just my thoughts on it all...good luck!