FAQ | Corporate environment & PnP drivers

matherms

Hey great site here. Been reading for hours and I have learned alot from all of you. Ive done a great unatended install for my comp. I love nlite. But i have decided to twist my brain. Hes the thing, i work for RTO Enerprises Ltd. (Easy Home) and i work with hundreds of dell and axess comps. I would like to create a master cd that when placed into the !!!!cd-rom!!!! not dvd drive of a dell; That it would do a format in NTFS and install the right drivers for the right dell and its aplications. (eg dell inspiron 1100, 2200 and dimension 2300,2400,and 3000) Because dell doesn't use the same hardware for the same type of comp.(I don't know why...theyre retarded at some points!!!lol) I started doing this by myself but i need help, and lots of it.

it is important though that each individual window key is able to be placed in manualy, as each comp has it own.

If any one is willing to help, i will give them access to my dell account so drivers can be saved and what not, anyone interested please pm me. Soon i hope i want this done in 2 weeks.

PS i have gotten as far as a simple batch file that work all in silent mode. but i would rather have most of the files in the $OEM$ folder. U know the winnt.sif file way. (or is there a better way around...imopen to sugestions.) And anyone who helps will be given full credit. if the cd or cds work great i will bill rto and the helper will get a equal share in all. eg 1 person helps 50% and so on.

Edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky

Instructions for adding drivers can be found here: http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/drivers/drivers.htm. There is no danger in adding extra drivers, Windows will only install driver for installed devices.

Dell uses a generic key for their computers and if you are using the Dell CD as your nlite source, you can use the same key. The key is located in the winnt.sif file on the Dell CD.

• 2 weeks later...

is there a way to get inf files for the drivers becuse half of them have none?

can they be created, or is the a driver pack that can be downloaded, slipstreamed, then the os will decide what files to copy and such?

i know that dell cds have the key but running a single key on like 450 machiens doesn't quite cut it by microsoft.

Dell uses a generic key for their computers and if you are using the Dell CD as your nlite source, you can use the same key.

You CAN, but you SHOULDN'T. This will put you "out-of-compliance" with your Microsoft licenses, which can be a bad thing if the BSA comes knocking. Every computer should have a unique PID, created from a unique product key (it's in that EULA we all click through without reading). Using the same key on all of your machines will work technically, that is correct - but even if you have unique licenses for each PC you're installing, if you use the same key for all of them, you're violating the license from Microsoft for all but one of those PC's. Just an FYI.

thanks buddy for the back up on the key thing. I just knew it but i did not know were to look for the info pretaning to using 1 key on multi comps.... any other help would be great. Bâshrat the Sneaky have u found a way with the dell drivers?

Thanks all

Mat