Strange File Movement !

mws

Greetings,

Has anyone come across this one before or maybe suggest a fix. Any clues would be great !

The problem is that files seem to be moved randomly within any folder structure. The files are straight forward data files (word, excel etc) that are placed anywhere down to multiple levels.

I originally felt it was a user accidently dragging a bunch of folders or say a single folder along with it's contents, into another directory. However, after looking at this closer, it sometimes goes 2 or 3 levels down in the folder structure and sometimes involves multiple moves.

The system is a P4, 2003 SBE with 2 x SATA HDD's working with raid 1. Although it has other apps on it, Exchange, ISYS, Office etc I cannot see that they would be producing this scenario. I am now on the track of thinking the RAID has something to do with it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mark.

So if a file was located at:

X:\Files\Docs\Temp\file.doc

Then it will be located to here:

X:\Files\file.doc

Is that what you mean? Can you give an example?

As for what is causing it I'm kinda lost. Are these files in a profile, redirected folder, network share, or DFS? Is it ony happening for one user/share?

Many thanks, have just managed to get back onto this issue. I really appreciate the input to this as it has been giving me headache's. :(

You are correct InTheWayboy regarding the structure. As far as I can tell so far, the files could move either way, up or down the structure.

Dr God, thanks for your posting, will re-read the reference on junction points.

Initially I think I will tackle an audit, see what it brings. I am looking forward to the outcome (meeting the culprit ?) If it's user fault. :-)

Thanks again..

Mark.