User hardware installation using GPO

TheWizard

Hi All

I have a problem which is ever increasing actually....

More andm ore of my users complain that they cannot use their USB key's to transfer documents...

We have no politic that prevents this, and they could just as easily burn a cd or make a floppy copy, but its pretty obvious why most of them would rather use USB keys.

My problem is that whenever someone inserts a USB key (using a new type of driver that have not been in the computer while a local administrator has been logged on) they get no access to the file system of that key. However i can see in the device manager that it detects a new hardware unit..my guess is that the "ordinary" user is not allowed to install new hardware due to the drivers. If however i login as a local administrator and insert the key and hereafter lets the user login, everything works fine, from here on and forever actually....untill the next type of USB key comes along.

Is there any way around this using a GPO, i have been searching my a** of without any luck unfortunately :/

Hope you got some advice.

There is the "Load and unload device drivers" under user rights assignment in the computer config of a GPO. By default, users do not have this right, but granting it should allow installation and use of PNP devices (like USB keys).