GUID/UUID

Michael_C

If the computer can PXE boot, the GUID will be provided by the PXE BIOS right on-screen.

Otherwise, you'll need to do it via a script and query WMI for the GUID, like so:

' *** Begin Script ***

Dim strComputer

Dim objWMIService

Dim propValue

Dim colItems

strComputer = "SERVER"

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_ComputerSystemProduct",,48)

For Each objItem in colItems

WScript.Echo "UUID: " & objItem.UUID

Next

' *** EOF ***

It's a simple script to gather some data about the machine, and the bolded data should give you what you need.

Edited by cluberti

As the previous poster suggested, I use the PXE boot screen to get the GUID of my computers. If you boot to PXE there is a short period where the unit will display various info...MAC, IP, and GUID just to name a few. You can copy it down there.

Also, if you don't have a GUID, then it's the MAC Address with enough 0's to fill it out. So if you MAC is:

00 11 22 33 44 55

The you GUID is:

I don't know how many leading 0's you have to add...I think it's 20...but the part where you enter in the GUID should respond when get to the correct amount.

When you get the GUID, you need to create a new computer to go with it. Open Active Directory Users and Computers, and then create a new computer in the appropriate OU...the first screen will ask for a name, then next screen will ask if this is a managed computer...put a tick in the box and enter in the GUID in the text box. You'll notice once you tick the box that the "Next" button becomes gray...it will stay that way until you properly enter in a GUID. If you miss a letter then it won't let you continue until you fix the problem. Once it's in line, the "Okay" button will become clickable, and you can finish creating the new computer.