Problem with read-only files

Tim356

Wondering if you guys can work out what my problem is.

I have a bunch of folders on my local machine. They're all read-only. When I right-click, then properties, I can untick the 'read only' check box. Then click ok.

But when I right click on the folder again, and go properties, the tick box is ticked again, and the file is still read-only!!??

How can I make these files writeable? For some reason windows is defaulting them to read-only, no matter what I select.

I'm running WinXP pro SP2. I can make most other folders writeable, and these folders aren't anything special, just folders that were extracted from a zip file I downloaded.

Please help me guys, it's s***ting me to tears!

I have a similar problem. Literally ALL my folders and files are read only (on both harddrives) and I cant change them. This severely disrupts some applications functionality. As with the original poster if it is unchecked, next time I look at properties its checked itself back.

Im running WinXP Pro SP2. Any help greatly appreciated, after I've searched for this issue I see Im not alone with it but I havent been able to find a solution.

Edited by forlorn