How best to deploy using RIS

Hi,

Stumbled accross this forum last week after having spent a couple of weeks messing around with our new Windows 2003 Server and RIS here at work.

I am senior workshop technician of a small computer firm and we are OEM system builders.

One big problem we are suffering from at the moment is the time involved in building a PC and after doing a little research I discovered RIS and decided to begin tackling this problem by focusing firstly on shortening the time it took us to install Windows XP.

I have seen various 3rd party utilities (e.g. RISult and AutoRIS) but it seemed alot to take in and I felt like I was drowning a little bit.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction? I have no quarms in spending alot of time on a particular method if that is what is required but do not want to be spending alot of time on somthing when there is an better alternative.

Does anybody use RIS similar to the way I wish to? Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

Systemsmb

Well, I am using RIS for approx 30 Dell models which all share a common drivers structure. This way we can support all installs of all models (supported by the company) with a single image. The most annoying part of the design and implementation of RIS is trying out that the drivers are working correctly each time u make a single change that might inflict on all models.

I recommend u going for a "flat" RIS WinXP SP2 image and dont use external tools to do the trick. I know I am prolly gonna get called names in here (cause of the suggestion) but I prefer having a good overview of what I am doing and it is harder to tell if an app is causing the problem or if it yourself that is causing it..

there are lots of good inputs in this forum as well on the MS site regarding RIS. However, first time around, it always take a coupple of hours before u get the hang of it.

Good luck to ya..

Tha Sausage Eater...

Actually, Microsoft frowns on imaging technology (even their own, ironically) and suggests that you don't use sysprep or riprep if you don't have to. I also agree with you and MS on this, a clean install from a flat image without using the other tools is better in the long run as each install is indeed different, with virtually no chance of SID issues, etc.

It's better to get your flat files set up, create scripts to install your applications, and test everything until it works the way you want. If you're thorough, you can get Windows to completely install itself and all of your apps via RIS. Here's my .sif file for use with RIS:

----------

[Data]

AutomaticUpdates = YES

AutoPartition = 1

MsDosInitiated = 0

UnattendedInstall = Yes

OemDrivers = OemInfFiles

[unattended]

Unattendmode = FullUnattended

UnattendSwitch = YES

OemPreinstall = YES

OemPnPDriversPath = drivers\audio;drivers\chipset;drivers\misc\wireless;drivers\modem;drivers\network;drivers\RAID;drivers\touchpad;drivers\video

OemSkipEULA = YES

TargetPath = WINDOWS

Filesystem = ConvertNTFS

DUDisable = YES

Hibernation = NO

WaitForReboot = NO

NoWaitAfterTextMode = 1

NoWaitAfterGUIMode = 1

DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

NonDriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

Repartition = YES

[GuiUnattended]

TimeZone = 035

AdminPassword = *

EncryptedAdminPassword = NO

OemSkipWelcome = 1

OEMSkipRegional = 1

AutoLogon = YES

AutoLogonCount = 3

[setupParams]

UserExecute=%systemdrive%\temp\unattend.cmd

[userData]

FullName = USER

OrgName = HOME

ComputerName = *

ProductKey = XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

[Display]

BitsPerPel = 32

Xresolution = 1024

YResolution = 768

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup = WORKGROUP

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents = Yes

[NetOptionalComponents]

Beacon = 0

[Components]

Accessopt = Off

CertSrv = Off

CertSrv_Client = Off

CertSrv_Server = Off

Chat = Off

Deskpaper = Off

Dialer = Off

Fax = Off

Fp_extensions = Off

FP_Vdir_Deploy = Off

Freecell = Off

Hearts = Off

IIS_Common = Off

IIS_Doc = Off

IIS_FTP = Off

IIS_HTMLa = Off

IIS_Inetmgr = Off

IIS_NNTP = Off

IIS_NNTP_Docs = Off

IIS_Pwmgr = Off

IIS_SMTP = Off

IIS_SMTP_Docs = Off

IIS_WWW = Off

IIS_WWW_Vdir_Printers = Off

IIS_WWW_Vdir_TerminalServices = Off

IISDbg = Off

Indexsrv_system = Off

LicenseServer = Off

Media_utopia = Off

Minesweeper = Off

Mousepoint = Off

Msmsgs = Off

MSMQ_ADIntegrated = Off

MSMQ_Core = Off

MSMQ_HTTPSupport = Off

MSMQ_LocalStorage = Off

MSMQ_MQDSService = Off

MSMQ_RoutingSupport = Off

MSMQ_TriggersService = Off

Msnexplr = Off

Netoc = Off

Pinball = Off

Solitaire = Off

Spider = Off

WMAccess = Off

zonegames = Off

[PCHealth]

ER_Display_UI = 0

ER_Enable_Applications = None

ER_Enable_Kernel_Error = 0

ER_Enable_Reporting = 0

ER_Enable_Windows_Components = 0

ER_Force_Queue_Mode = 0

ER_Include_MSApps = 0

ER_Include_Shutdown_Errs = 0

[shell]

DefaultStartPanelOff = YES

DefaultThemesOff = YES

[systemFileProtection]

SFCQuota = 0

[systemRestore]

MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk = 7

RestorePointLife = 7

[branding]

BrandIEUsingUnattended = Yes

Home_Page = http://www.google.com

Search_Page = http://www.google.com/ie_rsearch.html://http://www.google.com

Search...ie_rsearch.html

----------

My unattend.cmd file is kicked of at the T-9 minute mark, and installs all optional Windows updates that I didn't integrate, as well as set the PC up to install applications on the next reboot (and some other changes as well). I can post that as well if you find you need it for reference.

Firstly thank you both for replying so quickly.

As far is RIS is concerned all I have managed to do is create a RIS install setup whilst using Systemmanager wizard to create and anaswer file and although not entirely sure how also get it to install SIS SATA drivers so I didnt have to press F6 and then insert the floppy disk.

So do you mean it would be better to go no further than adding driver support (using Microsoft's method) as far as modification is concerned? That would make sense as we only tend to use 2-3 different types at one time anyway and only change them every 6 months.

As far as getting RIS to install application after Windows is installed, how is this done? You mentioned scripts? Is this using VB? Oh and yes please if you could post more off your stuff as it all helps me to learn.

Thanks again

SystemsMB

systemsmb,

RIS will work perfectly for you. I use it at home to build my machines as well as at work to build thousands of boxes.

Think of RIS as just a network flavor of the unattended install process. Everything that is discussed here works almost identically in RIS.

Here is how I got RIS working for me. F(orgive me if I explain things you already know, but I'm just going to assume you have very little experience with this stuff.)

First, I started with putting together an unattended CD install of XP. It'll get you familiar with how the install process actually works. Use the guide here: http://unattended.msfn.org/ It won't be a waste of time, as everything you do with the CD will transfer to your RIS image.

Next, create a simple RIS flat image with nothing fancy. Now, RIS works with 2 "flavors" of images, "flat" and "RIPREPed". Flat images are just complete installations. Nothing more than moving the install CD up to a server. The RIPREPed images are closer to Ghost images, or at least you can think of them that way. What you do is build a complete PC by hand. Installing all your apps, setting up all your settings and such and then you use the RIPREP tool (similar to SYSPREP in a way) to upload an image of that PC to your RIS server. Then, when you build a machine with that image, it runs the Windows install and then layers onto that all your settings and applications. So, no it isn't really a Ghost image, but you might as well think of it as one.

Then, when your flat image is working right, start adding in the things you learned from your unattended CD. In general, work in small steps and don't dump everything in all at once in case something goes wrong.

So, here is how I do things with RIS, just to give you some ideas.

I have a single flat image of Windows XP. In there I have several SIF files (identical to Winnt.sif), each one for a different hardware platform. For example, I have one for my Dell laptop, another for my AMD64 box, etc. I also have a share on my server for all my application installs. I then use various batch files executed from GUIRUNONCE to install different applications over the network.

That's it in a nutshell. RIS is awsome, and it isn't too complicated once you get the hang of it. Like I said, follow the unattended CD guides for info on how to do things like slipstream in hotfixes, or install applications silently, or adding support for SATA drives. That is the majority of the work.

The only real gotcha you have with RIS is the fact that it's run over the network. Since it is over the network, you need your network drivers to work during text mode setup. This is easy to do, you just have to copy the driver(s) into the I386 folder of your flat image and restart the RIS service.

I hope this helps, but feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Mike

Once you get the RIS basics down, and it won't take you long believe me, check out my RIS guide for how to better optimize your RIS deployments. What everyone in here is saying about RIS is true too, it's really fantastic. It's like a religion, once you find it, you never go back.

I think that tools like RISult and AutoRIS should only be used after you have a solid grasp on what's going on. As good as RIS is, the underpinnings can be complex. You'll find this out when something doesn't quite work right. And you'll need the know how to be able to troubleshoot and fix the problem. Once you're a RIS master though, both of these tools can save you countless hours.