variable in unattend file

Well, first of all the command for viewing and setting variabels in Win32 is <set>. Run <set /?> for more info. However, u need to make sure if the variable needs to globally avail or if it only should be available during the installation (some application does these kinds of stuff...), u need to create the vaiable and then remove it again..

once u have created the variable u can try it from a command prompt by for example echo %variablename% and see if it works..

cu

Do you use a bootable CD/DVD to setup Windows, or use a network installation (maybe using a job from Altiris for example)?

If it's a bootable CD/DVD I don't think it's possible. I think the boot.bin (or whatever it is called) is the floppy on thje CD/DVD and that one initiates what is executed. So, you would have to hack that to have it execute a batch file or so.

My problem is:

during an unattend installation

how do I do to set the variable before the installation run?

Hmm, do u mean before the winnt.exe installation or ? that would be dos or winpe! Or do u mean during the installation of the Win32 OS? I assume that u r wanting to install an application (and not something within the OS). OS parts components are normally handled in the [Components] section of the unattend file. I would say that u could launch the set commands from the [GuiRunOnce] section of the unattend file, that would be my choice.

My project is to start the installation of Windows server 2003 o XP

The only things to be inserted are the name of the server and model

In operation of the secret ones the variable are established for example for IP address and for the folder containing the drivers corresponding to the model.

To realize this project as I can do?

Sorry for my english

Edited by fbcesco

Hey fbcesco...

I dunno really what u mean, but if u wanna launch an installation of WinXP and be able to create variables, before the actual winnt / winnt32 part, for things like:

1. IP

2. Name of computer

3. Model (?)

Then, if this is the case I really suggest that u try WinPE (if u have access to it) as u have great possibilities of scripting (WSH) in this environment. From inside WinPE u could create a HTA app. which could present u with the creation of an unattend file for the upcoming installation, where u only have to supply the "variables".

Same thing can be done from DOS (it just doesnt look nice) with the concept of asking questions and pipe the entires / answers to a text file (unattend) which could then be used for launching the installation. Or the most obvious... Leave the desired "variable" fields open in the unattend file and the installation will pause and wait for u to fill em in, but that is cheating... ;)

I have never used WinPE but I believe that BurtPE is similar (among the other one it is freeware)

Otherwise the alternative will be that to launch a standard installation and later to make to depart the scripts for the personalized configuration