XP Setup Hangs At "Saves Settings"

SpikedCola

Created an Unattend CD, which was put on a DVD because it wouldnt fit on a cd. RyansVM pack thinger was installed and so were a ton of applications. Everything installs fine, until setup restarts and goes through its process. At the very last screen, setup acknowledges that it is "saving settings" with the bar all the way to the right, and just hangs there. I left it overnight to make sure, and it doesnt make a difference. I am doing a clean install on a Maxtor 160gig SATA with the SiS Raid drivers installed and put into the TXTSETUP.SIF file. Help?

Bah. I couldnt decide between the two, so I chose this one because it had more to do with just getting XP installed than working out the unattend bugs. But I decided just to boot off another hard drive, and re-create my XP cd. So thats not a problem anymore. But Im still curious as to how XP knows that setup hasnt been completed there. I checked boot.ini and its fine, autoexec.bat and config.sys are empty, so it must have something to do with the MBR?

I'm pretty sure your problem lies in how you installed Ryan's hotfixes, how you installed your applications, and how you went about making the unattended cd. That's why I recommended asking this question in the unattended board instead of here, because your install is now heavily modified.

Since you did a bunch of things and actually tried the install without doing a test install in a virtual machine, there's no way to tell what caused your problem. However, I don't think your MBR has anything to do with it. Why not follow the Unattended CD Guide and try again? Install a virtual machine, and then recreate your iso and do a test install. Do one thing at a time - get the unattended basic install working, then add the ryan pack and test it, then add your applications and test again. The only thing you can't test is your drivers - that requires an actual test box.

Well thats what I would have normally done, but for some reason I didnt (stupid me eh). But I figured out my problem. I had edited TXTSETUP.SIF with the SiS Sata info, and after using nLite to integrate everything, I replaced the new file with the old one. So I just added the SATA info to the new one, and it worked like a charm (although I had to boot off a different hard drive and get yelled at for it) Next time Ill stick to M$ Virtual PC'ing my ISO's before I use them. Still dont know what file would cause the 'Setup is now restarting' Part though. I searched and searched with NTFS4DOS, opened up a few files, and came to the conclusion that I was lost.