Not entirely MCE, but probably the appropriate...

I thought long and hard about the best plce for this topic, and despite not running Windows MCE I decided to put it here...

I'm running Windows XP Professional on my HTPC which I've got connected to a 32" Sony Wega TV using ATi's VGA to HDTV adapter set to 480p on my AIW Radeon 9600XT...

I'm using an Athlon 64 3000+ processor on an Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard with 1GB of RAM. On this motherboard there's integrated ALC850 audio, which has 7.1 audio capabilities, SPDIF out, and optical out...

I've got a set of 5.1 Sony Surround sound speakers which I've got connected to my motherboard's onboard audio using the Digital Coax cable to my SPDIF connector...

Here's the problem...

I only seem to be able to get 2.0 audio, despite Windows being set for 5.1, the software i'm using to play the DVD's s set to 5.1, but the Realtek auto sensing crap that gets installed with the drivers is set to 2, but I can't change that because the auto sensing s*** is turned on, and I'd like it off....

Any thoughts on why I'm only getting 2.0 audio? Or how I can turn off this damned auto sensing crap..?

Nakatomi2010,

I'm running my HTPC with a similar A8N-E board/ cpu and have had no problems with "Power DVD 6.0 Deluxe" as my player. I've got the sound connected via the optical Toslink connector to my Yamaha AVR. DD and DTS pass thru is working. You can set Pwr DVD to SPDIF out and you would be on your way. The RealTek AC97 drivers are present but with pass thru you don't use the windows control panel (mine is set to 2 speakers).

I've tried the RCA SPDIF out function running a "MONO" mini-plug into my old Sound Blaster Audigy 2. I had mixed results at best.

Sure hope this helps,

Bosshog

Nakatomi2010,

I'm running my HTPC with a similar A8N-E board/ cpu and have had no problems with "Power DVD 6.0 Deluxe" as my player.  I've got the sound connected via the optical Toslink connector to my Yamaha AVR.  DD and DTS pass thru is working.  You can set Pwr DVD to SPDIF out and you would be on your way. The RealTek AC97 drivers are present but with pass thru you don't use the windows control panel (mine is set to 2 speakers).

I've tried the RCA SPDIF out function running a "MONO" mini-plug into my old Sound Blaster Audigy 2.  I had mixed results at best.

Sure hope this helps,

Bosshog

I have the same problems on my A8N-SLI Deluxe (which may actually be the *sh1ttiest* motherboard I've ever owned). I believe the problem is that the *driver* doesn't output 5.1 except on the *analog* connections. If your receiver has analog 5.1 inputs, output that way and it will work. Optical and digital outputs won't, except with programs like PowerDVD which do their own encoding.

Jason