Roaming Profiles Unavailable

deansweb2004

Hi

I currently got DNS Server/Domain Controller/Active Directory/File Server setup on my Server 2003 Operating System. I connected my testing machines to this Domain with success and I can log onto my Win XP using the Domain Administrator. I created a user in Active Directory Users/Computers then I tested it by logging on using Win Xp computer and that successfully worked. I then created a Shared Folder on this server called Profiles and then I gave permission for everyone to have full access to this folder.

Then, I created a folder called Dean and also I allowed Users (DOMAIN\Users) permission in the Security Tab to write to the Dean Folder. Then I created a user called Setup User and logged onto that user using my Win Xp computer and changed the layout which best sorted my needs then I logged out . I then created a User Called Dean and logged back in using Administrator account and went to system Properties, Advance and Profiles, then I click \\SERVER\Dean, Copy to and type in the location of the Profile for example \\SERVER\Profiles\Dean and I permitted \\SERVER\Dean and clicked ok and then I opened up the properties for Dean then the Profile Tab and change the Profile Location to point to this computer for example \\SERVER\Profiles\Dean on the Domain Server.

So, Then I tried logging on using Dean to see if the user would load the Profile, But I keep getting a error message saying the Roaming Profile is currently not available therefore is going to use the local user.

I also tried point the Roaming Profiles to a different File server to see if there File Server Role on my Active Directory server was conflicting in one way or another, But I'm still getting the Error Message. I also changed the Server Name to the IP Address encase the DNS Wasn't working same error still though

Note. I have searched the forum to check for original Posts about this but they do not seem to help me very much.

Any ideas?

First make a share on your server called profiles. Then you go to "active directory users and computers" find the user Dean and right click properties and click the profile tab, then under "profile path" put //server/profiles/dean. ("server" being what ever your server's name is. ).

This worked for me.. You may have already tried this though

**Try getting rid of the "dean" folder in the profiles share.. I think it makes one when you put the path in the active directory**

Edited by itdude59