Slow Networking - one direction

drock

Hello,

We recently upgraded the servers at each of our sites from Windows NT to 2003 Standard Server.

Since then, when our users at one particular site copy a file from their pc to their server, it takes about 50 seconds for a 3MB file. Everyone has 100Mbps connections. It doesn't matter if they use Explorer or save from Excel, etc.

Copying files the other direction - from server to client - happens very, very quickly.

None of our other servers have this issue. We have a single domain, which all machines are a part of.

I've tried the basics: rebooting, new network cable, turned off antivirus software etc.

Can someone give me a few pointers to begin looking deeper? Or direct me to network tools that will help me analyze what's happening when a file is saved to the server?

Thank you in advance,

David Rock

We do defrag our servers. However, when this server was recently upgraded, the array was reformatted and the server OS was installed from scratch.

Using Explorer on the server, I can copy files from other machines on our network to the server extremely fast. That makes me think it's not having trouble writing the files to disk.

Thank you for your reply.

(...responding to a post asking about defragmenting the drive)

We do defrag our servers. However, when this server was recently upgraded, the array was reformatted and the server OS was installed from scratch.

Using Explorer on the server, I can copy files from other machines on our network to the server extremely fast. That makes me think it's not having trouble writing the files to disk.

Thank you for your reply.

Edited by drock

I need to ammend something I wrote in a couple posts back.

I CAN NOT copy files quickly from other machines on our network to this server.

I have another new Server 2003 machine at the site, and I can copy files very fast from clients to that server.

FYI: The server that I have the 'slow performance when writing to from clients' issue with happens to be a domain controller and the other server is not.

I've also tried turning off our OfficeScan antivirus clients on both machines to ensure nothing weird is happening with that.

Edited by drock